BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

HIDDEN LINES FOR SLABS NOT WORKING - SAME STOREY

g r a n t
Enthusiast

Hi,

I can't come up with a solution via searching....maybe not entering the correct terminology. 

I have two slabs. One is the concrete floor and the other is the column footing. The top of the footing is just below the slab so I put both on the same storey with the footing being vertically offset the distance of the slab.

I was expecting to see hidden lines for the outline of the footing when viewing the floor plan. Model view has hidden lines checked. Each element has hidden lines using the dashed line. I've tried just about everything. Any help is appreciated. Kind regards, Grant

I started learning ArchiCAD at age 50....bear with me,
AC26
MacBook Pro M1 Max.
Ventura 13.1
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution
jl_lt
Ace

Hi Grant, here are some solutions:

1. manually override the linetype of the column, from solid to hidden.  This way, you can keep it in the same level

2.use a graphic override for the column footings. Having them in their own layer will facilitate this process. Apply this Graphic override to your view.

3.Put all your columns footings in a floor floor below, so you can set their proyection on hidden line. Then, in the layouts, you overlay your slab plan with your footings plan. 

4.Set the preferences/legacy options, so show object BENEATH the current view as hidden line.   (i really dont recommend this option, because it affects all the slabs in all the floors, but if you are only working with this elements it would work)

hope it helps!

View solution in original post

Solution
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

If I understand the question correctly, then you want those segments of Slab edges that are under another Slab to be automatically displayed using hidden lines.

Unfortunately, this cannot be done automatically, and the Model View Option you are referring to does not control this. See the below image for the explanation of a workaround to achieve this.

SlabHiddenLineBelowOTherSlab.png

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Solution
jl_lt
Ace

Hi Grant, here are some solutions:

1. manually override the linetype of the column, from solid to hidden.  This way, you can keep it in the same level

2.use a graphic override for the column footings. Having them in their own layer will facilitate this process. Apply this Graphic override to your view.

3.Put all your columns footings in a floor floor below, so you can set their proyection on hidden line. Then, in the layouts, you overlay your slab plan with your footings plan. 

4.Set the preferences/legacy options, so show object BENEATH the current view as hidden line.   (i really dont recommend this option, because it affects all the slabs in all the floors, but if you are only working with this elements it would work)

hope it helps!

DGSketcher
Legend

@g r a n t Do you possibly have a cover fill set which is masking the lower slab? 

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Solution
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

If I understand the question correctly, then you want those segments of Slab edges that are under another Slab to be automatically displayed using hidden lines.

Unfortunately, this cannot be done automatically, and the Model View Option you are referring to does not control this. See the below image for the explanation of a workaround to achieve this.

SlabHiddenLineBelowOTherSlab.png

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

Hello jl_lt 

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the delay. Just getting off vacation mode!

I understand all of your suggestions. I suppose the footings should be on a separate storey (Foundation Plan). This should solve the challenge. Thanks. G

AC26
MacBook Pro M1 Max.
Ventura 13.1

Hello Laszlo Nagy,

thank you for the detailed reply. I see some degree of manual work is involved. I will look at putting the structural footings on a different storey and this should help. Have a great day! Grant

AC26
MacBook Pro M1 Max.
Ventura 13.1

@DGSketcher I removed a cover fill and still the same issue. Thank you. G

AC26
MacBook Pro M1 Max.
Ventura 13.1

Did you check your Floor Plan Cut Plane values under the View Settings. If the view doesn't display to the required depth it would hide the footings.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

Hi Grant. How did it go?

Just a thought:

Following on from Laszlo's post (with good annotations btw.) - if you create your column footings using the Column Tool - couldn't you use the [Hidden line under slab] option in MVO?

Erik Bjornhage : SwedishChef, ETTELVA Arkitekter, Gothenburg, Sweden
Architect : Digital Development : Graphisoft Cert. BIM-Manager
ETTELVA Arkitekter : Eriks LinkedIn
DELL Precision 5570; i7-12700H; 64 GB; RTX A2000 [8GB] : AC12 - future
Learn and get certified!