BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How much manipulation can ArchiCAD walls offer?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can the walls offer different views with different layer groups selected?

On my roof plan I want to show the outlines of the first and second floor. Is there a way in ArchiCAD to allow one dashed line to be visible on the exterior wall types only? Right now I have them line drawn but that does me no good if any walls are moved as far as really taking advantage of the automatic updating features of ArchiCAD.

On my foundation layout I'm trying to show a referenced view of the basement. I can either show or not show specific items like beams and my plumbing. Is it possible to show my basement walls but just as two dashed lines (representing the interior and exterior of the framing)?

What I am really wanting to see is a wall built from lines on at least 3 different layers so I can turn on the desired layers for different views in my layouts but I only have to move/create the walls once and all of my references to that floorplan will remain accurate. Is this possible with ArchiCAD?

Are there any other features specific to ArchiCAD concerning the walls and what they offer that I am missing?
4 REPLIES 4
There is quite a bit of differentiation in how you can get a wall to look on your prints and on your screen by assigning different pen sets to a view, model view settings, cutting planes, etc…even on the same wall.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

vfrontiers
Enthusiast
I am in a WISHING mood today....

I can see 3 clear approaches here.

1. Allow an OVERRIDE on the layers (thereby controllable per layer combination) that forces all linework to a chosen linetype. [been asking this one for years]

2. Provide a tool like ROOF SURFACER (or battered wall) that remains linked to all the items you had selected when you initiated the tool. It would essentially create an object of all the walls (etc) that we could then simply apply the 2d traits to it... .Think of it like a LINKED PATCH.

3. Allow a LINETYPE override to PLACED drawings. So you could set up a view of BASE WALLS and overide the entire drawing's linework with HIDDEN line for example.
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
Anonymous
Not applicable
Soon we sit there and build models only with complexed parametric GDL objects, then we could do everything we want.
Anonymous
Not applicable
vfrontiers wrote:
3. Allow a LINETYPE override to PLACED drawings. So you could set up a view of BASE WALLS and overide the entire drawing's linework with HIDDEN line for example.
This can be simulated/approximated by overlaying the drawings on the layout and placing a fill of diagonal white lines between them.
Learn and get certified!