BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How much quicker is it to model in ArchiCAD?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Presently I do my architectural modeling in AutoCAD or 3DS Max. Would someone with experience in ArchiCAD be able to tell me how long it would take you to model the attached home rendering (just the home not the landscaping or materials) and to model the attached kitchen rendering (just modeling)

Thanks for you help!
Charles
3 REPLIES 3
rjwilden
Booster
Depends weather you are designing it or just copying it.
Big difference.

Richard.
Richard Wilden Design. Ltd
Dunedin, New Zealand.
Imac 27" i9 3.6GHz; 32GB Ram Mac OS 11.3
Archicad V23:V24
Dwight
Newcomer
Of course, you are considering purchasing Archicad and wonder if there's a substantial productivity payback relative to your other applications. The answer is undoubtedly "yes." However, most users don't use Archicad simply to model - we use it to design buildings and generate a variety of integrated design communications, so a direct answer to your question is difficult.

Archicad will be faster that either of the others since it places building elements to meet the demands of conventional architecture [while being tedious in the realm of unconventional architecture- bulgy, organic losenges, for instance]. It's elements refers to slabs, roofs, windows, etc in their entirety. Archicad elements don't behave like typical primitives - they stretch and adapt parametrically. It is also much faster to edit the building in its entirety - elongation, compression, whatever, all the while maintaining relationships to published building views. The experience can be very much like building a physical model from stretchy card board.

For work of the quality you show, of course you'd export the Archicad model to Max like many users do, since nothing in the Archicad realm can render with that fluffy entourage or lighting effect.

Since you are in Vancouver, please call me at 604 266 7322 if you'd like to discuss this in more detail. Our regional rep is visiting Vancouver next week if you'd like a demo.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for the replies.
Richard, I would just copying it. No design.

Charles
Learn and get certified!