BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Layer Combinations

Tom Krowka
Booster
Some time ago I asked how to move layer combinations from one drawing to another. I'm sad to say I can't find the thread again, and seems likely I tossed the printout.....

The answer I'm looking for had something to do with transfering files from one drawing to another via cut and paste in Explorer, not in the attribute manager.

Can someone answer that one again for me....?

Thanks.
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
5 REPLIES 5
Tom Krowka
Booster
Never mind.......it was view sets that we wanted to able to transfer. But it was still something about transferring files within Archicad......
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Erika Epstein
Booster
Attribute Manager under the Options menu
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am having an issue with using the attribute manager to transfer layer combo's. I am using hotlinks to manage the size of our files, therefore i am doing modeling work in one file and linking it into another file for annotations and setting up views. I have layer combo's set up in my modeling file that display the model correctly and i want to use it in my documentation file. I have saved the layer combo as a .att file using the attribute manager, from the modeling file and opened it in my documentation file and added it to my layer combo list. Everything seemed to go smoothly but the layer combos do not match, ie: a-wall-ext.new is turned ON in the layer combo in the modeling file, but it is turned OFF in the same layer combo in the documentation file. Why would the layer visibility value be different?
Thanks for your help
Barry Kelly
I think you will find the "a-wall-ext.new" layer has a different index number in the model file and the documentation file.
I believe the layer combinations use the index numbers rather than the names.
You really need the two files to match perfectly -i.e. they should both really be generated from the same template file.

Try to copy both the layers and the layer combinations over in your AAT file.
And use "Overwrite" and not "Append" when transfering the info.
Experiment on a copy of the documentation file just in case you suddenly find all your walls on the wrong layer.

I think the elements stay attached to the layer name though so all should be good.
Or maybe others that play with this more have a better understanding.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Rod Jurich
Contributor
Barry wrote:
/..... I believe the layer combinations use the index numbers rather than the names. /........
This is correct. You can compare in the Attribute Manager.
If the index numbers differ then you will need to redo your combos.
Doing this at the moment and a real pain, if you are not aware as Barry states.
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |
Learn and get certified!