BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Layer Settings "0" -> prefabricated elements

For the increasing planning of buildings with prefabricated elements (wood/concrete), I would like to work with the "0" setting in the layer setup to avoid intersections. This works well in the floor plan. I get the desired separation lines. In 3D, I also don't get any intersections of the components, but the textures (materials) merge. As a result, I don't get separation lines in section and elevation views.

Does anyone know a solution? (Apart from customizing textures for each component)

Bildschirmfoto 2024-03-13 um 09.56.02.jpg

Operating system used: Mac Intel-based all

Mac OSX - up to date

GER Archicad Full, Up to date
7 REPLIES 7
bouhmidage
Advisor

Intersection priority prevent building materials from intersecting, for exemple, hidden operators are placed in a hidden layer with intersection priority set different from all layers, to prevent hiddent elements from generating automatic intersections with other elements.

In your exemple, i thinks there is no need to differentiate prefabricated element layer from others, you need to assign for them a strong building material, wich will cut other BMs, 

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 10 GB
Archicad 25
Windows 10 professional
https://www.behance.net/Nuance-Architects

no. sorry. I think you misunderstood my problem. I know everything about intersections.

My post is rather about the inconsistency in Archicad. 

Mac OSX - up to date

GER Archicad Full, Up to date

Intersection group numbers in the layers only control the intersection of elements (as you have discovered).

Adjoining elements do not intersect, but if the surfases are in perfect alignment, then they will blend into one continuous surface with no joins.

There is no setting I know of to alter this, except for using duplicate surface materials in an alternating pattern.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Lingwisyer
Guru

If it is just prefab panels, could you use the Cube object? It will not react to stretches and marquees if you need to make modification though...

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Botonis
Advisor

Just to simulate the idea of a pre fabricated element with custom dimensions I might have tried using a curtain wall if design allows it. This way it is easy to separate anything in all aspects and both in 2d and 3d.

Botonis Botonakis
Civil Engineer, Enviromental Design MSc., BIM Manager for BS ArhitectsVR
Company or personal website
Archicad 27. Windows 11. Intel Xeon 2699x2,64 GB RAM, Nvidia 3080Ti. 2 Monitors.
furtonb
Advisor

I second the original post: please make this behaviour consistent, I don't want to duplicate surfaces and leave tiny gaps between objects, or have multiple layers of editing (e.g. curtain walls). Setting the layer intersection group to 0 should also prevent the merging of surfaces, or this can be a feature flag somewhere that you can toggle based on your preference, to keep everyone happy.:)

odv.hu | actively using: AC25-27 INT | Rhino6-8 | macOS @ apple silicon / win10 x64

Personally I find it weird that intersection is the default - I guess it makes some sense for a coarse approach to modelling but as we now modelled more discrete elements/components as parts of systems it would make much more sense to actively decide what should intersect. And of course - it should not be controlled through layers but rather through the in AC missing system/group concept.  

Setup info provided by author

Learn and get certified!