BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Metal Lath "Linetype"?

rob2218
Enthusiast
does anyone have a Linetype that resembles a "metal lath" like this?
I know amazing things can be done with creating a linetype...but just wondering if anyone had already made one?
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable
You have already done it. Just copy and paste your lines showing what you want into a new Symbol line type. Set the gap to 0. Select the Scale with Plan option.

Be aware that your line will have to be offset by half its width, as it is created along the centreline of its entities.

Would have taken less time than it did to type this, but I live by the motto: Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll steal your boat and drink your beer.
rob2218
Enthusiast
So...which lines should I copy/paste? One short vertical one (1/4") and a diagonal?
How many of that particular pattern do copy/paste?
Also...should I draw those "lines" with lines or plines?
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Anonymous
Not applicable
You can do it with one set of short and diagonal, or you can do it with more if you want. Symbol lines seem to stop anywhere along their pattern, whereas standard dashed lines terminate with a section of solid line. So the number of line segments you use will not matter for a symbol line type.

Lines work, polylines do not.
rob2218
Enthusiast
ok, so I guess the "lines" themselves which make up the new "Linetype" pattern needs to be "lines" and not "plines"? is this correct?

Also...I tried to create the metal lath line pattern and it doesn't show up right.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
rob2218
Enthusiast
here's what I get.
I tell ya....this "creation of 'stuff'" both creating a "fill" and "linetypes" are a nightmare.
there are other "things" can be created easily but for some reason, this programming type user input interphase it horrible. I can't see the "linetype" I'm creating to know whether it's right or wrong?
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Anonymous
Not applicable
rob2218 wrote:
ok, so I guess the "lines" themselves which make up the new "Linetype" pattern needs to be "lines" and not "plines"? is this correct?
Yes
rob2218 wrote:
Also...I tried to create the metal lath line pattern and it doesn't show up right.
What is wrong with it?
rob2218
Enthusiast
first off....I can't find it on the list of "linetypes"?
where does it reside?
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
rob2218
Enthusiast
this is a nightmare guys....
1. the linetype is WAY too small in the preview editing dialogue box.
2. I've tried changing/setting/adjusting the "gap" to ZERO, and the "dash" to 1 inch and nothing makes it connect, look like the linetype I'm trying to build.
3. I can "see" that little graphics of the lines...but I can't seem to get it to the proper scale? and there is nothing there on the list??

WTH is going on?
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Anonymous
Not applicable
rob2218 wrote:
here's what I get.
I tell ya....this "creation of 'stuff'" both creating a "fill" and "linetypes" are a nightmare.
there are other "things" can be created easily but for some reason, this programming type user input interphase it horrible. I can't see the "linetype" I'm creating to know whether it's right or wrong?
I created a line similar to yours, but in Metric dimensions - 10mm x 40mm. Strangely I had to change the dash length to 0.4mm for it to display the right size, whether it was created from a 1:1 view or 1:100.
Learn and get certified!