Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Modeling Horizontal Cable Railing ?

Marc H
Advisor

I have need of a 'see-through' terrace railing with horizontal cable runs in the 'panel' section.  It would likely be a metal or wood/like top rail with metal posts holding the cables.   (The attached screenshot is roughly the type of design I am looking to produce.)  I've been exploring the default Balustrade and Panel sections in the Railing tool, but do not see any OOTB solutions.  One posted video utilized a texture in a panel for a similar appearance for mesh, but that is in a frame with fixings.  I was hoping to have a bit more accurate design visualization rather than just calling out 'see details'.

At this point, I am considering custom profiles of cables and then working them into the rail design as horizontal balustrades or something like that, but before I expend quite some time to do so (with no guarantee of success), I thought I would ask if anyone here if they have suggestions or recent experiences with this architectural design.

Operating system used: Mac Intel-based Sonoma, Current Build

Cable Rail Sample.png

“The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time.” - Abraham Lincoln

AC27 USA on 16” 2019 MBP (2.4GHz i9 8-Core, 32GB DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8G GDDR5, 500GB SSD, T3s, Trackpad use) running Sonoma OS + extended w/ (2) 32" ASUS ProArt PAU32C (4K) Monitors
12 REPLIES 12

Remember to save it to your favourites. Save yourself the effort of spacing the wires again next time.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660

Thank you, Ling.  Will do.  Coincidentally, one of the problems I was having in creating this rail was removing the prior railing settings (used the tool to create a sloped trench drain via a custom profile).  After much ado, I just selected one of my commercial stair railing favorites and then modified it with AllanP and Barry’s detailed settings to create the cable design.

“The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time.” - Abraham Lincoln

AC27 USA on 16” 2019 MBP (2.4GHz i9 8-Core, 32GB DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8G GDDR5, 500GB SSD, T3s, Trackpad use) running Sonoma OS + extended w/ (2) 32" ASUS ProArt PAU32C (4K) Monitors

One of the favourites in my template is an empty railing. Trying to delete multiple elements, especially when you have elements below zero is such a pain...

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660

Setup info provided by author