BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Modelling joints from prefab elements

PVBergkrantz
Expert
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had a good method of modelling joints from prefab elements for walls and such. We are doing a project with prefabricated wall elements and would like these joints to be visible both in sections and 3d, but for all other intents and purposes the wall elements act as a single element. So far we've tried doing it with niche/alcove window objects (not sure of the English terminology) but this seems overly complicated and creates many many extra objects. Maybe there is a method with custom profiles, but I haven't been able to do it along the length of a wall, only change it vertically.

Another idea was to create a render material but the joints are not always perfectly repetitive, and corners create a tricky situation.

As an example look at Tadao Ando's building at the Vitra Centre, how would you go about modelling that in ArchiCAD?
| AC 25 Int | Win10 | i7-7800X | 32 GB | GeForce RTX 2060 6GB |

1 REPLY 1
Barry Kelly
Try creating a curtain wall with no panels.
You can use Solid Element Operations to subtract it from the wall and then hide the curtain wall in a layer you can turn off.
Any amendments required will just need a edit of the curtain wall.

your curtain wall can follow a set scheme or you can modify the position of the individual frames to suit the elevation.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!