BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Query about elevation lines against the angle of a wall...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

The project I'm working on consists of walls with acute angles which means that in a elevation, you not only see the ' front' of the building but also the walls that are in the distance.

My screen capture shows how the elevations markers are in relation to the building. Should the elevation lines be parallel with the building walls, or as close as possible to give a ' true ' elevation ? The red lines show what I mean; the elevation is parallel to the wall rather than at the default 90 degree angle.

Wasn't sure if it is preference of a 'rule' of Architecture

Thank You
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable
While there is some latitude for preliminary and schematic drawings the standard is for the elevation to be perpendicular (the view direction that is - the extents marker is thus parallel) to the wall being elevated. In your case you will have the choice of showing the adjoining walls (probably as a grey tone "distant area") or not.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
While there is some latitude for preliminary and schematic drawings the standard is for the elevation to be perpendicular (the view direction that is - the extents marker is thus parallel) to the wall being elevated. In your case you will have the choice of showing the adjoining walls (probably as a grey tone "distant area") or not.
I think it will be slightly clearer if I make the elevations perpendicular to the walls, it's what most people seem to be doing in my group ( though they use AutoCAD )... Thanks for clearing that up for me
Learn and get certified!