BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Railing Reference Line and Magic Wanding a Railing

I'm trying to use the "Create Independent Segments and Nodes" command from the pet palette on an associative stair railing.

If I create the railing when the stair is drawn, I get a railing with its reference line in the same alignment and direction as that of the stair, but the "Create Independent Segments and Nodes" is disabled.

If I magic wand a railing on an existing stair, I get the "Create Independent Segments and Nodes" command, but the reference line of the railing runs in the opposite direction as that of the stair. That means my handrail is on the opposite side of the railing I wish it to be.

Frustrated. Does anyone have a suggestion as to maintain the proper relationship of the stair/railing vectors?

I've spent three weeks with this tool, but I'm on deadline now and need to dome up wth a solution that helps me and is easily repeated in future.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
2 REPLIES 2
Barry Kelly
You can control the railing reference before or after you place it.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Thanks Barry, I find this pair of icons confusing and have found that they don't play nice with the icons that control which side of the rail the handrails are placed to. All too often I can place a railing only to discover that the fixings are flipped toward the stair rather than the wall. And then, while trying to fix that problem I discover the reference line of the whole railing runs in the opposite direction to that of the stair.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Learn and get certified!