BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Settings for Roofs on Multiple Stories

Anonymous
Not applicable
For several months I've been troubled with roofs on multiple stories that do not display proplerly. On a three story building, I want no roofs to show on the first floor, the first floor roofs to show on the second floor, the first and second floor roofs to show on the third floor, and on the Roof Plan I want all the roofs to be visible - and not dashed! I never imagined it would be so difficult for me.

Anyway, TODAY I figured it out (thanks mostly to a lot of perusing on archicad-talk). I will outline what I did below. I hope it helps some of you. For those of you way ahead of me ... am I on the right track?

Here is how I did it.

1. In Options / Project Preferences / Construction Elements set Line Type of Construction Elements ABOVE Home Story to Solid Line. (This will take care of the dashed lines ... and hopefully not create other problems)
2. Build your roofs one story above your walls. First floor roofs are modeled on the second floor. Second floor roofs are modeled on the third floor, etc...
3. In the Roof settings set the Floor Plan Display to OUTLINES ONLY
4. In the Show On / Link to Stories box, select CUSTOM
5. In the Show on Stories - Custom Settings window select
Show Outline On = ALL STORIES UP and NONE BELOW
Show Fill On = ALL STORES UP, HOME STORY, and NONE BELOW
6. Turn COVER FILLS on and either
- set COVER FILL to SOLID , but color 91 (white)
- or set COVER FILL BACKGROUND PEN to color 91 (white)

Thanks to all who have helped me!

Melisa
6 REPLIES 6
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Hi Melisa

Sounds like you've got it figured out there. Good job!

Step 6 depends on what look you're after but I always teach people to set the cover fill background pen to white, to do any masking rather than use a solid cover fill. It's just a better practice IMHO (for all tools). This way if you change your mind later, you simply need to change the cover fill from Empty to whatever you want (or check Use Fill of Surface Material). And if the pen is already set for the Empty cover fill, you won't need to change it at all.

But you got your head around the cut plane and roof settings and that's the hard part!

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Link!

Melisa
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have so much problem with roofs, so i will try your way.
Sometime when i hate to loose time about this i insert one more story above, copy roof, exlode all, draw in 2d and i finish all my stuff without nerusbrakedown hehehe

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think it worths spending some time with the roof settings also with the visibility settings under Preferences to solve the problem once and for ever. AC10 has a good way to set object visibility in each floor separate rather than the monolithic one up/one down/all which we had in the previous years.
C.
Anonymous
Not applicable
constantine wrote:
I think it worths spending some time with the roof settings also with the visibility settings under Preferences to solve the problem once and for ever. AC10 has a good way to set object visibility in each floor separate rather than the monolithic one up/one down/all which we had in the previous years.
C.
Totaly agree with u man !
Anonymous
Not applicable
Finally found the post applicable to my current issue. Which was the dashed lines showing as outline above stories. Modified it in Project Preferences. We had developed just about an exact set up similar to the way Melisa posted except we have a roof cover fill with a pattern showing on home stories only.

With additional roofs showing below the top roof plan, those roofs come up transparent and outlines that are supposed to be "buried" underneath another roof are coming up. The only way I can resolve that issue is if I show my fill on all stories above. Is that the only resolution? Because we like showing the roof fill pattern on home stories only then clear above those.

And thanks for Melisa for sharing this thread.
Learn and get certified!