BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Slab edge beams, rebates & fillets using ArchiCAD 7.0

Anonymous
Not applicable
As a relative newcomer learning the ropes on Version 7.0 can anyone give me a few tips on creating concrete slab edge beams (and internal rib beams) with rebates for external brickwork where applicable, and 45 degree fillets where underside of slab and beam meet?

I suspect I might need to create a 3D object and stretch it to suit, but this does seem a bit fiddly and I would appreciate the advice of wiser heads in case there is a better way.

Thanking you in anticipation!
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
I take it you are trying to make a raft slab with footings. Unless you need it for 3D views, use a fill. It is not worth the effort if you are only doing one or two sections. If you really want to model it use slab accessories, doesn't quite look right though or use profiler.

Julia
footing.gif
Anonymous
Not applicable
In the attached, 1. is a library part and 2. is just another slab. Since the fills are the same in all 3 objects shown here there is no break between them. So if you do want to take the trouble to model the slab correctly you can.

As Julia mentioned the slab accessories might also help you do this. I know that the new Cadimage Accessories pac has a very versatile tool for accomplishing this.

woodster
slab.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry, just noticed you're on 7.0. Don't think the Cadimage tools will work for you.

woodster
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
I would recommend trying the wall tool, unless you need the footing to have a sloping edge (in which case, the roof tool is the best IMO). The wall tool is great because you can use favorites and the magic wand to place them, and then they are stretchable.

Very easy!

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:
unless you need the footing to have a sloping edge (in which case, the roof tool is the best IMO).

Sorry to disagree, Mate; but the roof tool doesn't give you the right shape needed as in the object labeled "1" above. The object is 1. easy to create, 2. becomes part of your permanent library, 3. is stretchable.

woodster
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
The roof tool could produce that shape mate!

The downfall IMO of the object is that it must form a closed shape and is no good when you have a split level house. Even a garage can fall into that category.

Cheers mate,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:
The roof tool could produce that shape mate!
You know... I was thinking the ability to slope the edge wasn't there in 7.0

7.0 has been a LONG time ago, heh, Mate!

woodster
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Caliban,

I've not long been using AC too, and have tried a few ways to do the slabs. Early on I tried placing a fill in the section view to the shape I needed which works OK if you don't have heaps of sections to do. I then tried the Slab Accessory of Aus_Footing which came with AC8.1 which was quite good and created a detailed, customisable model attached to the slab but was difficult to handle the split levels as mentioned, including most garages!
I've most recently been using the Slab_on_ground Patch which is a customisable "object" I found in the Aus_Essential library, once again the library came with AC8.1! Do you have this object library?
I place a slab object at floor level at the thickness of the main floor and extending to the outside of the ext walls, then place this patch on each end which gives the edge beam and footing. When the materials are set to match the slab, they blend to appear as one solid object.
One main helpful thing I have learned about ArchiCAD is: The more you model, the less you have to draw!!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for all your advice.

Until now I've been trying to make every single element part of the 3D model, but since these slab elements are underground anyway I guess it's not that important. I ended up making 2D library objects for rebated edge beams and internal ribs, and simply superimposed them on the sections.

In the long term I would still like to learn to create more complex 3D objects such as raft slabs etc.
Learn and get certified!