Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Slab layers not ending correctly on walls with windows

shpendazizi
Booster

Is there a way to make archicad consider the window profile the same as the end of the wall. That way the Slab Layers end in the correct positionScreenshot 2024-04-16 104356.png

4 REPLIES 4
Barry Kelly

Firstly, I would model it as it is built.

The slab and floor finishes probably do not extent to the outside of the wall?

Having said that, if your slab does extend to the outside and the wall building materials are stronger than the floor building materials, they should automatically be trimmed.

Here you can see my slab extends to the outside but the cavity is stronger than the concrete slab so the slab gets trimmed there.

With or without a window and at any height in the wall.

BarryKelly_0-1713258601972.png

I have no floor finishes (I would probably model those separately anyway), but if I did, they would have the weakest building materials and would all be trimmed by the wall.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Hi Barry, yup I checked the priorities of all layers and none of them is higher than the wall where the window is placed. If i take the section just 5 cm to the right where there is no window, all the layers connect correctly!

Screenshot 2024-04-16 112151.png

I remember now.

Because your floor slab has 'finish' skins, these are not cut by the wall when there is an opening there.

Generally you want the finishes to flow through a door opening, not stop either side of the wall.

So maybe model the slab so it only extends to the back of the window frames?

Or leave the slab extending to the outside of the wall and model the floor finishes separately and stop them at the back of the window.

If you are not worried about the floor finishes being a 'finish' skin that you can turn off with Partial Structure Display, you could just make them all 'Core' skins.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Thank you Barry, a solution I found to my issue is using the opening tool in Archicad. Making an opening on the slab as thick as the layers ( in my case 12cm) made the finish layers end inside the window profile just where I wanted them!

Thanks again for giving me some clues!

shpendazizi_0-1713267139728.png