BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

StairMaker parameters

Anonymous
Not applicable
In using a rather frustrating tool (StairMaker), I seem to be again stuck in an endless loop of less than helpful prompts. So, does anybody have any idea what "Upper Side should exceed the Flight Width" mean? It's an L-shaped stair and I've tried changing the short (upper) leg, but that apparently is not what the problem is. Any other ideas?

Thanx.
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Perhaps it is referring to the landing size. (I use StairMaker only rarely due to it's frustrating interface and limitations.
Anonymous
Not applicable
It's a winder stair so there's no landing.

I use StairMaker mainly because it seems "easier" to change some things (that's IF you get lucky to get the parameters accepted). Maybe it's time for a change. Can't wait for the revised StairMaker...

AAAAaaaa.... The other stairs don't seem to allow winders. I guess I'm stuck with StairMaker... and a waiting client. Things could be worse I suppose...
Anonymous
Not applicable
It may have to do with the nosing of the treads????

The last winder I did I modeled the "winder" section out of slabs. The slabs were "magic wanded" from Grouped lines that depicted each tread.
Djordje
Ace
Sergio wrote:
In using a rather frustrating tool (StairMaker), I seem to be again stuck in an endless loop of less than helpful prompts. So, does anybody have any idea what "Upper Side should exceed the Flight Width" mean? It's an L-shaped stair and I've tried changing the short (upper) leg, but that apparently is not what the problem is. Any other ideas?
Not so horrible and we should notice that the loops happen IF we insist on something, while something else is locked ... not that I am defending StairMaker 😉

Check the total width of the stairs and the flight width; seemingly there is something clashing there.

Any chance of posting a screen shot of the StairMaker screen where the offending situation happens?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje wrote:
Not so horrible and we should notice that the loops happen IF we insist on something, while something else is locked ... not that I am defending StairMaker 😉
Defending? Whew, you had me going there for a while...

As far as insisting on things, I unlocked pretty much everything except for maybe the floor-to-floor height. But since I didn't have much time, I just dumped the stair and tried another one - the one that's got a winder on the opposite (top/bottom forget which one) side. Thankfully this option worked.
Jay wrote:
It may have to do with the nosing of the treads????
That's what appears to have given the prompts, though I could've sworn I'd adjusted them. Like I said, sometimes it seems there's no ryme or reason to some of these prompts. But I'm holding my fingers crossed for 8.2 or so and the revised StairMaker... ... please?
Any chance of posting a screen shot of the StairMaker screen where the offending situation happens?
Not no more - fixed it another way. Thanks for the help though.
Daniel Lindahl
Contributor
Sergio wrote:
... So, does anybody have any idea what "Upper Side should exceed the Flight Width" mean? It's an L-shaped stair and I've tried changing the short (upper) leg, but that apparently is not what the problem is. Any other ideas?

Thanx.
Sergio

I am reading this a bit late for you, as you have already dumped that stair (I had some urgent work, so the forum blog suffered!)

But for next time you try it:

In an L-shaped stair, the upper side has to be the total of the upper run after the winding section, plus the width of the lower run, plus some more to allow for the nosing overlaps at the winding section. In other words, the full length of the upper side measured on the outside of the stair. This would include the (imaginary) landing if there was one in the stair, instead of it being a winder.
cheers
Daniel
-------------------------------------
Daniel Lindahl Architecture
AC24 | Dell Inspiron 16+ | Windows 11
Learn and get certified!