BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Subtracting mesh

Chadwick
Newcomer
I am creating topography for a site and to do this I created one big mesh object and put all of the contour line information in it regardless if it was road, grass or whatever. I figured I could then go back and clone and subtract to get the road pieces that I wanted. The problem is what happens when I start subtracting pieces of the mesh out. It doesnt clean up for nice at all and to go back on fix all of these points would be incredibly time consuming. Does anyone have any idea on how to make this subtraction a lot cleaner?

I've attatched a picture to illustrate the problem.

TopoSub.jpg
RA 2012 x64, Piranesi 6 Pro, Sketchup 8, Windows 7 Pro x64, Intel Core i7, 10GB RAM, ATI Radeon Mobile 5870
4 REPLIES 4
TomWaltz
Participant
Try this:

The "it" referred to in steps 4 & 5 are the copy, not the original.
3D-roads.png
Tom Waltz
Chadwick
Newcomer
Absolutely wonderful! Works perfectly - and it doesnt seem to bog down the system with having two mesh objects in the file. I dont have the time on this project to try it out, but is Architerra worth the trouble learning if were going to be accurately modeling sites?

Thanks again
RA 2012 x64, Piranesi 6 Pro, Sketchup 8, Windows 7 Pro x64, Intel Core i7, 10GB RAM, ATI Radeon Mobile 5870
TomWaltz
Participant
Chadwick wrote:
Absolutely wonderful! Works perfectly - and it doesnt seem to bog down the system with having two mesh objects in the file. I dont have the time on this project to try it out, but is Architerra worth the trouble learning if were going to be accurately modeling sites?

Thanks again
I couldn't say. I've never used Architerra.

I cannot take credit for this one. A guy I work with came up with it. It totally blew me away at how simple it was.

He even went so far as to have one for sidewalks and one for a bike path on one project.
Tom Waltz
KeesW
Advocate
We use Architerra and it is very good. If you only want roads, what you have here is adequate. Architerra is faster and more versatile if you want to create roads with automatic embankments, cut and fill, plateaus and even some engineering profiles through the centreline of the roads.

It can all be done with raw ArchiCad but some complex operations require more skill and much more time.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
Learn and get certified!