BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Texture on a custom material

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am wondering if any one has had any experience with changing the texture on a material using the internal engine. Specifically, I would like to create a split face CMU wall, while retaining the original "Running Bond" pattern with 8"x16" blocks. Any clues?
8 REPLIES 8
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Jeff:

If you are referring to the Vectorial Hatching that is associated with a material, then you should use the Fill Types... command to duplicate (click the New... button) an existing fill with the type of pattern you want, then adjust its Spacing (ArchiCAD 12 has a great new feature that shows a yellow fill in the preview box of one unit of the pattern). You will then be able to associate this new fill with the split face block material in your project. If this is not what you mean, then post a screen shot of your issue.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
No, I have no problems with the Vectorial Hatching. In the Material Properties when working with lightworks, at the bottom of the drop down box there is a "texture" box. I can change to any number of different textures, but it changes the preview above to that texture (i.e.: Herring bone brick, or grey carpet, what have you.) I would like to change the texture of the material in 3D, while keeping the CMU running bond pattern. Does that make sense?
Anonymous
Not applicable
WHOOPS. Not in lightworks. The material box is in the internal engine dialog. Sorry.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am going to try a screen shot;
Anonymous
Not applicable
Try again

[/img]
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jeff,

First of all, duplicate an existing texture and edit the new one. If the settings get messed up, you have something to go back to.

Uncheck 'disable unrelated controls' at the top, to enable you to see all options.

Under the 'Lightworks Shader Settings' tab that appears at the bottom, simply click the large 'Match with internal Engine' button which will allow you to see the texture when you render it. This crudely matchs the settings for the lightworks shader to how the internal engine displays it. It is not perfect, so you may need to tweak things further manually for optimum quality and realism.

Vectorial hatching will not be visible in a render, so that setting is ignored by lightworks.

I hope I understood your problem correctly!

(btw, click the 'Browse' button under the message composing box to locate and add an attachment to a post)
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Jeff:

I posted a split face block texture here:
Split face concrete block, anyone?
(The rendering mentioned is now at 3D Visuals)

You will need to add this texture to one of your libraries, then reload the libraries, for it to be available as a Texture in the Materials dialog box. If this one does not suit, you can edit it with Photoshop or similar application. There are procedural textures for Lightworks, but I don't think you can get the rough texture without a bitmap image.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Thomas Holm
Booster
David wrote:
Jeff:

I posted a split face block texture here:
Split face concrete block, anyone?...
I'd just like to add that the Swedish concrete texture library (mentioned in the thread David linked to above) has moved to the location http://visualiserabetong.cementa.se/DATA/movie.htm
(BETONG = concrete, VISUALISERA = vizualize)

I'm also quoting fmr's explanation of how to get the textures:
Fmr wrote:
Hello Dan
You don't need to download the file for ADT 2004, he doesn't works with ArchiCAd at all.
You just need to download EACH texture one by one by "Hämta textur" in the site with a great choice of options.

When you download a texture, you get a .zip file which contain 3 files each time :
by example
— Master_gdl_Räfflad1_S.GDL (that put the materiel automatically in your ArchiCAd menu)
— räfflad_Stor.jpg (The "texture for mapping)
— Read_me.jpg (that you don't need to drop to your library, if you drop this file more than one time you may have an error)

Be careful to the ä, the ö and other swedish particular characters, after downloading some texture I have a message error and i need to rename the texture file where the ä or ö "going away"…

I Hope that "explanations" help you, if you have more problems…
Some additional explanations:

Look for the sub-menus

MARK = ground/site coverage
– PLATSGJUTEN = poured/cast in situ
– PREFAB = (this will be an exercise for you)

BYGGNAD = (concrete in) building(s)
– FORMMÖNSTRAD = patterned from the formwork
– FRILAGD = exposed (aggregate)
– SLIPAD = sanded, honed

Select a category in the sub-menu, and you get another...
VÄLJ = select
– KULÖR = color/hue
– FÄRG = color as opposed to GRÅ = grey
– GJUTFORM = mold, formwork

When you've made your selection, you get a
VISA TEXTURER = show textures menu (button)- Click it and then select your texture.

The HÄMTA TEXTUR = get texture button will give you a choice of the texture's
svarthet = darkness (litterally blackness, only for some textures)
storlek = size (in pixels, click the INFO button), and
– (file) format

Then click the Ladda ner = Download button

You will have to do this once for each and every texture you want.
And do follow fmr's advice above to remove the Swedish characters. Some OSs don't like them in file names.

The whole package of textures as one single download is only available in ADT format, nowadays at this location: http://visualiserabetong.cementa.se/DATA/files/Visualisera_Betong_ADT2004.zip

In that 10MB file, all the textures are available but only as jpegs. If that is all you need, you can download the file and extract the jpgs even if you don't have ADT.

On a Mac, download the zip file. You will find that it's a self-extracting .exe file that you can't run on a Mac. But you can right(crtl)-click. Select Open with, and use the Unarchiver to extract it's contents. Then download a program called Filejuicer from the Internet, and drop the data1.cab file on it. It will extract all the jpg texture files along with some other content.

On Windows you should be able to just download and exctract the contents.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Learn and get certified!