BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

The BIG BIM picture

Anonymous
Not applicable
Currently I am in the research phase of moving our company in the world of Building Information Modeling. Our firm is on the cutting edge of design for science and technology facilities. To our credit we have designed some of largest research facilities in the world. Our firm is a multidisciplinary organization with Architecture, Laboratory Planning, Structural, Mechanical, Plumbing, Electrical, Site Planning, Facility Planning, and Interiors under one umbrella. We have been working in 2D AutoCad since release 10 but now that the technology has evolved it is time for us to incorporate the latest technologies into our workflow. Our firm, like most AE firms, has decided that BIM is our future. The question is what technologies(software) will improve how we deliver projects.
As I continue to research and understand the world of BIM I continue to keep the following points in mind when choosing any technology. My questions for the ArchiCad community are at the end of the list.

1. Past, Present, and Future. Because we cannot just drop the current 2D process and switch all future projects to the 3D BIM process, what current software will help us transition by supporting our old projects, our current projects and our future projects?

2. Interoperability. What software will support the 3D interoperability between all the above disciplines? The software needs to support the old way of 2D xrefs, but it must now support 3D interoperability(Industry Foundation Classes).

3. 2D Drawing Coordination. How does the software interface with multiple users and with users who are using different software? Our firm, our contractor, our clients, and consultants require several different drawing formats from AutoCad 14, 2000, 2002, Microstation, PDF, DWF, Tif, Jpeg, etc. Will the software support all these formats?

4. Design flexibility. How customizable can the building be? I have yet to see any of our facilities contain just run-of-the-mill building designs. Our designers aim for something new every time on all aspects of the facility design, from overall building shapes to very fine details. We cannot rely on the software’s libraries; instead can the libraries be customized to fit our every need.

5. Building Size and Complexity. Can the software handle the complexity and size of our buildings? For us, it not just size that is a factor it’s also the complexity of all that goes into a science and research facility. How does the software handle these things?

6. Scheduling and Cost Estimating. If you are familiar with BIM, you understand the BID process is getting pulled closer and closer to the early part of the Construction Document phase and even into Design Documentation. Does the software support the ability to view or export out a broad range of building data for early bidding and cost estimating?

7. Error checking. Does the software support a “building spell check?” Can we perform coordination checks between disciplines and consultants on major aspects of the facility?

8. Code Checking. In Asia there are a few governments that are working on programs that code checks your BIM model. When USA code officials adopt this methodology will the software be ready to support it?

9. Analysis Reports. Will the software support the future of Wind or Energy analysis on a facility?

10. Construction. Does the software fit the BIM process beyond the design phase? Can contractors use the software or the BIM model to do 4D construction?

11. As Built BIM Model. How will the software encourage the creation of an As Built BIM Model for the owner?

12. Facility Management. Can the software support facility management? Does the software help the owner to better understand the facility and how to manage every complex part of it?

13. Building Lifecycle. Because our facilities are design to evolve with the changes of science and technology, can the BIM model be reopened in five or more years to support major changes to the facility such as renovations and additions?

If you have managed to read through that entire list then I ask you to comment on how ArchiCad or ArchiFM fit into any one of the above points. I am not asking and I know that ArchiCad or ArchiFM cannot do all these things. I am also not look for one single application that can. What I am looking for is software that supports the BIG BIM picture. If the software cannot fulfill one of the above points then what can the software do to support it. For example, if Revit cannot do 4D Construction for a contractor then how will Revit help to get the information to the contractor so that he can do a 4D model in his own software?

I am posting this message on Zoogdesign.com forum and eventually Bentley’s. Because I have had a chance to pilot Revit in the design phase and seen a demo of ArchiCad, and soon Bentley; I will also reply to this thread on how I think these applications are fulfilling the above points. Also feel free to add any points that I might have missed.

Thank you in advance,

Ben Ferrer
bferrer@cuh2a.com
30 REPLIES 30
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is the link to the same thread on the Zoogdesign website for Revit users:

http://www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2908
Djordje
Ace
bferrer wrote:
As I continue to research and understand the world of BIM I continue to keep the following points in mind when choosing any technology. My questions for the ArchiCad community are at the end of the list.
It is a real pleasure to see an inquiry of this level of detail! It does show that you are really researching the software side of the implementation.

However, I would also put the following in the equation:

- license pricing
- methods of upgrade/crossgrade
- network implementation
- training
- trained staff availability
- technical support
- possibility of customization to the specific needs of a large company
- specialized add-on or functionality development

IMHO your choice is ArchiCAD or Revit. With all due respect for Bentley, their solution is not a "real" BIM, or, as we prefer to say around here, Virtual Building solution.

It is good to see a company like yours to research the options. Spells good for the future of the industry!

Good luck!
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Karl Ottenstein
bferrer wrote:
I ask you to comment on how ArchiCad or ArchiFM fit into any one of the above points. I am not asking and I know that ArchiCad or ArchiFM cannot do all these things. I am also not look for one single application that can.
An eloquent and well thought-out post, Ben. I'm impressed with what cuh2a is doing from your web site as well. Many other large firms are ArchiCAD-based and might have good comments to share with you.

I tried to reply last night and got logged off during submission, so will see if I can remember what I had to say then!

I'm not sure what level of response you're looking for, but would say that IMHO ArchiCAD does satisfy all of your requirements except for three:

7. Error checking
8. Code checking
9. Analysis reports

AFAIK, neither ArchiCAD (or ArchiFM) nor any 3rd party add-ons do the things that you list there ... and they are important considerations. As you know, ArchiCAD can export to an IFC model, so if there is 3rd party software to do these things at the IFC level, then that would address the issue. Do you know of any?

I'd encourage you to attend ACUWest if your firm can send you ... as an opportunity to talk with many ArchiCAD users, from huge, medium and small firms, in a user-organized event - as well as to learn some of the advanced features of AC. Of course if you want a more prejudiced (or inside) view, some attendees will be resellers and officers of Graphisoft itself. 😉

Thanks for posting your comprehensive and thought-provoking list.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
stefan
Expert
One thing I can say is that there is no software that can do it all.

But since you seem to be willing to put a serious effort in getting it to work, I might think that (with an open mind and not forcing AutoCAD habits into ArchiCAD, for example) you can come pretty far using ArchiCAD.

Maybe you need to do a lot of custom development:
- developing custom GDL library elements, which is very approachable
- developing good office templates, which is also very approachable and some users on this list allready have such templates available that you can start from.
- developing some custom C++-tools, which is a whole different set of problems, but it might be an option in a large firm

I'm not into a big design firm and never worked on large ArchiCAD projects, but I know that for some features, ArchiCAD is very capable (although not always 100%) and for others it can really get in the way.

The point is that relying on a lot of 2D-drawing can limit the advantage of the full BIM approach, which really needs as much as you can be built inside the 3D-model. For a large office that means that you should strive of having multiple ArchiCAD users working on the 3D-model, instead of a few people generating simple sections and others doing 2D-section & elevation & drafting work in a tool like AutoCAD. Not because AutoCAD is not good at doing these drafting tasks, but because you won't reap the real benefit of this BIM-approach: model coordination!
I would suggest not to buy just a few ArchiCAD seats and let people export DWG's and do the drafting elsewhere (e.g. AutoCAD) since then all coordination is back to where it was: inside the heads of a project-engineer, so mistakes can often happen.

I don't think that Architectural Desktop will fully deliver, but it might play better with staff that is used to do coordination with AutoCAD 2D-drawings xrefed around.

I don't think that Revit (at the moment) is fully ready too, since it has limitations, like no IFC support (although I expect that this might change in the future) and no API/C++ Devkit available and no scripting like AutoLisp. But I do believe that Revit is a worthy alternative.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well ... less responses than expected, so I will chime in as my alter ego

First, the history - Graphisoft did produce the first software that implemented the Virtual Building approach, that lately has been known as BIM. They also produced the first FM solution based on the Virtual Buidlign model (ArchiFM). So, the experience is there.

In general, whatever you do, try first. Get a few people who know the software inside out, for a time, and try whatever you want to. Ignore the marketing, concentrate on the reality. Do NOT save on research - whatever you spend there, including consultancy and special need development fees, will pay back very soon!
bferrer wrote:
1. Past, Present, and Future.
No software in the world will help you here. The only thing that WILL help is a thorough implementation plan with either advance training or a consultant on site. This goes for whatever software you choose - don't get fooled by labels. Implementing Revit or ArchiCAD is the same.

The current projects should be finished as they are, and the transition should be done on a project with a comfortable deadline and not too big. This is probably a very optimistic approach ...

By all means do NOT mix the processes; it will be hard enough to get the people to think and work in the Virtual Building way.
bferrer wrote:
2. Interoperability. What software will support the 3D interoperability between all the above disciplines? The software needs to support the old way of 2D xrefs, but it must now support 3D interoperability(Industry Foundation Classes).
ArchiCAD is at present at the forefront of the IFC implementation; however, the whole IFC movement is very much hindered by the proprietory file formats and the slow transition of the whole industry. Try and ask for examples before you buy anything!

XRef support is present, no problems there.
bferrer wrote:
3. 2D Drawing Coordination. How does the software interface with multiple users and with users who are using different software?
In general, no problem. The DGN transfer might be problematic, some DWG flavours can also cause hiccups. In general, again what will help you is the organization. Judging by your inquiry, that does not lack.

For multiple users on the same project, the TeamWork approach is in use since 1995.
bferrer wrote:
4. Design flexibility. How customizable can the building be?
As much as you know how to do it.

There is no limit to what any software can do - there is only the limit of the knowledge of the users. Yes, the word is that ArchiCAD is not the strongest in the freeform shapes. Some even say that GDL is hard to master. The trick is - if you do not know, ask someone who does.

While not obvious, nothing is impossible. Libraries for any software are never sufficient for the scope of the designer's imagination. I yet have to find something that cannot be done with the full set of tools available for ArchiCAD - meaning freeform modeling Add Ons and the GDL scripting included. Don't be afraid of GDL - it is nothing more complex than BASIC, and gives incredible powers to the good user/developer, many of which are in the Forum. Check for example the GDL Alliance web site.
bferrer wrote:
5. Building Size and Complexity. Can the software handle the complexity and size of our buildings?
Again - It's not what you do, it's the way that you do it. ArchiCAD can handle extremely complex and huge stuff (see the articles on Eureka building on the GS Web site). The more compelx, the better organization is required.
bferrer wrote:
6. Scheduling and Cost Estimating. If you are familiar with BIM, you understand the BID process is getting pulled closer and closer to the early part of the Construction Document phase and even into Design Documentation. Does the software support the ability to view or export out a broad range of building data for early bidding and cost estimating?
Yes. ArchiCAD project can contain all the data necessary very early. The person that should explain this in more depth is, for example, the local database guru, Karl Ottenstein. ODBC connectivity is now two way.
bferrer wrote:
7. Error checking. Does the software support a “building spell check?” Can we perform coordination checks between disciplines and consultants on major aspects of the facility?
The name escapes me right now, but I KNOW that there IS a third party application that does just this. Will get back when I get the info, and hope someone chimes in.
bferrer wrote:
8. Code Checking. In Asia there are a few governments that are working on programs that code checks your BIM model. When USA code officials adopt this methodology will the software be ready to support it?
Don't know; only someone from the Graphisoft development can answer this one.
bferrer wrote:
9. Analysis Reports. Will the software support the future of Wind or Energy analysis on a facility?
Already working in Europe, with locally developed methods. Check the Web site of ANull, the Austrian distributor, for example.
bferrer wrote:
10. Construction. Does the software fit the BIM process beyond the design phase? Can contractors use the software or the BIM model to do 4D construction?
See the example fo the use of ArchiCAD by Kajima, in this very same topic and on ArchiCAD University Web sites. Third largest in the world? Must be they know something others don't.

The Construction Simulation function is a simple but efficient way of showing what can be done; ask for a demo.
bferrer wrote:
11. As Built BIM Model. How will the software encourage the creation of an As Built BIM Model for the owner? -
This depends on your (designer's) follow-up. Or the contractor's, as the case may be. If you are asking whether the As-Built model is useful for the future use as the database for building maintenance and FM, the answer is yes. Provided, of course, that the owner goes hat way.
bferrer wrote:
12. Facility Management. Can the software support facility management? Does the software help the owner to better understand the facility and how to manage every complex part of it?
The same basic engine is the foundation of ArchiFM.
bferrer wrote:
13. Building Lifecycle. Because our facilities are design to evolve with the changes of science and technology, can the BIM model be reopened in five or more years to support major changes to the facility such as renovations and additions?
For the time being, the backwards compatibility is the problem (you cannot open new files with older versions). I did not have any problems with old files, but this is something that only someone that lived in 2009 can answer ...
bferrer wrote:
If you have managed to read through that entire list then I ask you to comment on how ArchiCad or ArchiFM fit into any one of the above points. I am not asking and I know that ArchiCad or ArchiFM cannot do all these things. I am also not look for one single application that can.
I answered to the best of my knowledge, most of it from own experience. Now - I doubt that one person can give you the answers to all the questions. I also agree with Stefan that one software can not do all that you want.

One important point, that cannot be stressed enough:

Software does nothing, people do. If you do not have the implementation plan, and do not hire a consultant, you will have a hell of a time implementing whatever you choose. Don't get fooled by the Autodesk badge in the case of Revit - probably nobody will tell you this, and most will state the opposite, but implementing any of them (ArchiCAD or Revit) is the same fight between the flatland and the space. Knowing AutoCAD is more of a hindrance than an advantage in both cases.

You should contact your local people representing the vendors, and even the GS US, or Autodesk for that matter, and try to get the answers to the same questions. There are people here on the Forum that work in big companies that got ArchiCAD tailored to their needs, so about that, they are better to say anything than I am.

There is one more point in favour fo ArchiCAD, that any Revit supporter will tell you is a disadvantage - 21 years on the market. That means broad experience all over the world, and a big (comparatively) user base. The Autodesk user base has no significance in this case, as working with AutoCAD based products has no bearing on the matter.
bferrer wrote:
I will also reply to this thread on how I think these applications are fulfilling the above points. Also feel free to add any points that I might have missed.
I would be interested to read your responses and opinions! The dicsussion will probably heat up when you do post your opinion ...

Whatever the decision, welcome to the world of virtual building
Anonymous
Not applicable
Excellent work Djordje!

I think most of us have been too intimidated (at least I have) by the scope of the task to respond to such a long, thorough, thoughtful and though provoking inquiry.

I will try to find some time to add my 2¢. There are some subjects I would definitely like to expand upon. In the meantime, thanks for taking this on.
Vitruvius
Contributor
Djorje,

Here's my insight on implementing a new CAD system based upon large scale projects & practice.

By way of explanation, I've been doing projects of 200,000 sm+ using a combination of AutoCAD and an HOK proprietory programme called Drawvision (fundamentally 2D). Basically, and predictably, designers use Drawvision (its easy to use and graphical) and then it goes to production and ACAD. It works, but not elegantly, and the Achilles heel is that you're usually in that phase of the project where you're not out of design and not fully into production. Design just doesn't end at a phase and we designers hate ACAD. But it is sadly the lingua franca of the architectural community thus far...

I agree that, ideally, new software should be introduced on work which has schedule flex and is not too daunting in scale. But if our projects span years, and as fees (and penalties) are "up there" no one will take the risk. Inertia rules the day. And, the managing professionals making decisions about software, in most cases, don't know how to use CAD.

The honest truth is that a better product (ie ArchiCAD) doesn't necessarily prevail. Most Managing Directors spend 90% of their time & energy with clients and business development (as they should). Ergo, they're badly equipped to think or evaluate software and production issues. And quite bluntly, if all we had available was foamcore and coloured pencils we'd still step up to the plate and make that great presentation!!!

So, you may not convince the Managing Director to shift from ACAD, but you can define part of the project (ie lobby, massing study, clubhouse) and introduce ArchiCAD. And, the intern architect doing the lobby is the future MD ... or at least, a company director!

Well, after all, it's what's in that thick mass between your ears that makes you an architect. ArchiCAD just means you can go to bed at midnight and avoid the all-nighters!!!

Cheers, Cameron

PS - Did my flat in AC and blew the contractor away. And the kitchen contractor. Net result - no extras on the kitchen and 2% on the main contract.
Cameron Hestler, Architect

AC 24 & 25 (3011) / MacMini i7-8700B @ 3.2 GHz / 32GB Ram / 512GB SSD

LG Ultrafine 4K monitor 22" & 27”

Mac OS 11.6 Big Sur
Djordje
Ace
Matthew wrote:
Excellent work Djordje!
Thanks Got stuck this afternoon between a plot limitation and client's desire to use all of the 60% allowed and found refuge in tyoing a three screen message ... 😉
Matthew wrote:
I think most of us have been too intimidated (at least I have) by the scope of the task to respond to such a long, thorough, thoughtful and though provoking inquiry.
IMHO this is the only way to approach the problem; rather than "my daddy is stronger than yours" and " two million people cannot be wrong" or "we are ht ebest and do not have to prove it" approaches, one should ANALYZE. Maybe the 2D CAD came on inertia, now a couple of decades have gone on it, and at least CAD managers (if not principals) know what the words "upgrade" "memory" "license" and other arcane stuff mean 😉
Matthew wrote:
I will try to find some time to add my 2¢. There are some subjects I would definitely like to expand upon. In the meantime, thanks for taking this on.
I wondered why you, and especially David L who arguably does have the most experience in this matter did not chime in earlier ... so, the icebreaker has passed, sail on!
Djordje

HP Omen
Djordje
Ace
Vitruvius wrote:
By way of explanation, I've been doing projects of 200,000 sm+ using a combination of AutoCAD and an HOK proprietory programme called Drawvision (fundamentally 2D).
Mentioning HOK is enough ...
Vitruvius wrote:
I agree that, ideally, new software should be introduced on work which has schedule flex and is not too daunting in scale.
... but such projects do not exist, really. My case of today - the total value is maybe a million US$ - the proposal went out first in 2001. It cam eback today. Luckily, I did the proposal freelance then and kept the file ... so I can work on it now.

The workaround of this problem - or, better, reality - is to get a couple of consultants on board that will do the handholding. Works quite well, provided everybody keeps an open mind and the management is convinced.
Vitruvius wrote:
But if our projects span years, and as fees (and penalties) are "up there" no one will take the risk. Inertia rules the day. And, the managing professionals making decisions about software, in most cases, don't know how to use CAD.
This is VERY dangerous, and ultimately loses money. Surely HOK has CAD managers? Now, the "only" thing to do is to present the software in NUMBERS and SAVINGS.
Vitruvius wrote:
PS - Did my flat in AC and blew the contractor away. And the kitchen contractor. Net result - no extras on the kitchen and 2% on the main contract.
Ahem! This is the way to present it! 2% is someone's fee on a huge project!

So think about it and present it to whomever is to be persuaded in these terms.
Djordje

HP Omen
Learn and get certified!