BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

The thickness of the plaster around the beam looks like the thickness of the beam

Sefa Yakut
Booster

Hello,

I added 2 cm of plaster around the beam I produced with a complex profile. When I draw the beam, the 2 cm plaster thickness around it is included in the thickness of the beam and my 30 cm beam appears as 34 cm.
It is quite misleading because there is no separating layer and it appears as a completely static element.
How can I add plaster around the beam and it won't show up in the thickness of the beam?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Beam.jpg

4 REPLIES 4
Barry Kelly

You can create your complex profile with the nominated height and width as just the core of your profile.

Set the plaster as a "finish".

BarryKelly_0-1698655122814.png

This will allow you to place the beam by the size of the core.

However in plan you will still see the overall width of the beam.

Unless the Floor Plan Cutting Plane happens to pass through the beam, then you can see the skins.

There is no 'Symbolic' floor plan display for a beam like there is for a wall.

BarryKelly_1-1698655671895.png

There are nodes at the ends of the skins, you can't see them but you can snap to them when you dimension.

Just be aware the dimensions to these points will not be associative (not linked to the beam).

You can also adjust your 'Partial Structure Display' to show just the cores, and your beam will show the core thickness only in plan.

But this will affect other elements as well and you have to do a separate set of dimensions for each Partial Structure Display.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Erwin Edel
Rockstar

In the classification standards we have in The Netherlands you would need this to be separate from the load-bearing element and you would have to model it twice to be able to use both classification. As such I would model two elements. At that point you also generally have two different layers and it's possible to hide the 'unwanted' finish layer or use different projection options.

We hardly model plaster finish at all, since we need all dimension to be to the load-bearing walls and and elements. We do show the plaster finish in our (2D) principle details.

Just offering some insight in a possible different workflow.

Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5

How do we get the quantity for this plastering separately under schedule list.

When I created the schedule it is giving the entire thickness and the area associated with that, but I need only for the plaster.

How do we get that.'

Roopa A S

Try a 'Component' schedule with fields for 'Component cross section area' or 'Component volume'

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!