BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Upgrade to 12 and 13??

Anonymous
Not applicable
So I'm using AC11, I have 12 on the shelf and was recommended by a tech support guy not to install 12 yet as there were some issues with it - this was about a year ago or so. What the issues were, he didn't elaborate on.

So, now I get an email about a coupon for upgrade to 13 and I'm wondering what to do? I always hate upgrading from a version I spent so much time to get running just the way I want and am using it painlessly for awhile and then something different comes out. Is it better? Or, just different? I don't know.

What say you all? Do you recommend installing 12 and then 13???
4 REPLIES 4
jbArch
Newcomer
This is the first I've heard of AC13.

I recently jumped from AC10 to AC12, skipping AC11. I feel like the learning curve was bigger than if I had used AC11 for awhile first. So if you have AC12 on the shelf, then maybe start using it on a new project to get ready for the transition to 13, which may still be a few months away. You can always keep your old projects in the old version.

There are still some bugs in 12... here's one on the mac side that they still have not addressed:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=128684&highlight=#128684

Personally I think these upgrade cycles are too short, and I'd prefer to see a new release every two years but have it work properly. Also this would mean less downtime learning the new "features" of each version.
AC 21 (8002) & 22 USA
Mac OSX 10.14.5 on MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Intel i7, 16GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2GB VRAM, 500GB SSD
Karl Ottenstein
Steve wrote:
So, now I get an email about a coupon for upgrade to 13 and I'm wondering what to do?
I would post a scan of your coupon, as something is certainly bogus: 13 is not announced, so I think Graphisoft themselves would be very interested in seeing whatever has been mailed to you.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'll have to clarify it with the home office, I just got a voicemail from the boss that we got something that gives us a price break if we upgrade early, it usually happens when a new one comes out. It is possible it is some sort of pre announcement, but I don't know. I will find out, however!

I do agree the new versions come way to quickly for my comfort...

OK, here's the deal. It isn't a coupon as I thought, but an annual subscription through Graphisoft that gives us a break when the next versions come out. We haven't subscribed in the past, as we don't upgrade to each version right away. It would give us a price break WHEN 13 comes out, or whatever the next version is.

So, SORRY to cause a panick!!!! No coupon, just a subscription. I don't have a clue what all the subscription does for you. Is it worth it?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Steve wrote:
Is it worth it?
For many of us, yes, but for some, no. It's all about what you work with, and so on. Let's say you only draw small houses, and have a great working template and favorites for all types of objects you use, you build a housemodel in 4-8 hours average and completing with some standard details that you always use. I would say no. You woudn't earn that much time in a new version, the only thing maybe that would make you update would be new computers with newer OS that your ArchiCad version isn't compatible with, like for example old ArchiCad and VISTA.

But if you build other things, and not have that complete standard and you often work with new products, new types of objects and so on, I would go for a 'subscription'.
Learn and get certified!