Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

empty door woes

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can anyone sum up for the the rules for display in plan of an empty door opening?

I've figured out - finally - that the "overhead line" settings (pen and line type) control the drawing in plan of the jamb of the empty hole.

Is it just me or is this silly? Anyone have a simple summary to share?

(Actually there are so many interacting settings I can't even replicate now what I previously thought to be true: a "symbolic" display of the door automatically inherited the walls "cut line" setting.)

Thanks so much!
6 REPLIES 6
Dwight
Newcomer
Yet another way to know that a lovely melody has been driven into the ground.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
hmmm.... You lost me there Dwight.

Sorry my post was unclear.

The "overhead line" is the line of the WALL not the door. Not very intuitive to adjust the appearance of one element through the settings of a different tool!
Dwight
Newcomer
I wasn't attempting to assist you since i don't have the answer, but used your posting as a way to philosophically lament the decline in the ease of simple tasks - like putting an empty opening into a wall.

The interface shouldn't confuse users on the basics.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Amen, brother.
Anonymous
Not applicable
The overhead lines represent the edges of the top empty opening. The threshold is actually another matter. I am in full agreement about the complexification. Though there is the argument that empty openings are not necessarily simple, it seems that should be the default, with the complexity to be added as necessary.

I'm not sure what the reason was, but at some point the "empty" openings ceased to be just simple holes in the wall and became library parts. This may have been necessary for compatibility with the introduction library part subtypes (in v8?). If so, it was unavoidable since the parts would be truly impossible to manage without subtypes (instead of just difficult).
Stress Co_
Advisor
Add THIS to the woes.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)