BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

grids and background

Anonymous
Not applicable
howdy

In order to have no gridlines show up as the default setting, is View > Grid Options > Grids & Background the only place to modify this?

We have imported some v9.0 projects into v11.... however all the detail windows have the grid displayed and need to be turned off one by one for each detail

not a fun jobbie

anyway to do that globally in one fell swoop

thanks

yukioMishima
17 REPLIES 17
TomWaltz
Participant
I'm not sure if there's a place to globally turn them off, but why bother? They don't really do anything.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
tom

true... they don't do anything..... most here just find them visually distracting

would have been nice & expeditious if there was a way of turning them off globally

thanks for the response

yukioMishima
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Nope - there's no global switch. As a professional template maker, I feel your pain.

It's not just grid display either. Each Section/Elevation has it's own user origin, scale, zoom and probably some others that I can't recall right now.

It may be worth you creating a custom toolbar for this repetitive purpose (or any repetitive purpose for that matter). Create it so that you can just click down the toolbar, performing the functions you want in order. Then it becomes pretty brainless...

Have fun!

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
link

thanks for the reply and the tip

why is it that one seems to always take 2 steps forward and 1 step back when upgrading archiCAD

yukioMishima
Anonymous
Not applicable
just out of interest.... does anybody really use the grid.... i think i have it switched off permanently

yukioMishima
Anonymous
Not applicable
Personally, I use it all the time...can't live without it! I use it as a visual guide as well as a drafting guide. It comes in handy on skewed walls as well. When first learning CAD in the days of CADvance it was stressed by our boss and now I can feel lost without it. But I do turn it off occasionally.
I have found that it helps to select a lighter color.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I use it and I need it, but like you said, we want to set a standard colour / setup of it that applies on all new views... It works in earlier versions, why not anymore?
Anonymous
Not applicable
We definitely need a way to have these turned off globally. What is worse is that a given section or elevation view will not maintain the status of the grid display. I am constantly turning of the gird display in section, elevation and detail windows.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I generally use it. It is good to set it up at the beginning of the project. I usually use 4' sq for residential, 10' for commercial/institutional, and various metric sizes depending on the project. I tried tweaking the settings back in the old days to use it as a column grid but that (unsurprisingly) never worked well).

I usually use a light grey background (7% to 10% grey - 90% to 93% brightness - depending on the monitor) and a slightly lighter grey for the grid lines so they are visible but not distracting. Since the lightest pens I ever use are 30% grey there is never any confusion between the grid and drawn elements.

I agree with Mike that there should be a way to turn them off and adjust them globally. It would also be nice to set them by drawing type (a 10' grid doesn't make much sense in details). But I don't find this to be a big problem and would rather see the development resources go into more important things.
Learn and get certified!