Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

how i can make a free window?

Anonymous
Not applicable
can anyone help me how i can make a free window to a free wall (profile wall)without using any add one.[/img]
9 REPLIES 9
Chazz
Enthusiast
This is not a wish, it's a question. And I'm still unclear on what you want. Are you saying you want the glass to be curved too?

There are no window add-ons I know to do this so at least there is nothing to buy.

The reference guide has a section on making custom windows and doors which may help.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Karl Ottenstein
[I moved this out of the wish forum and removed the poll.]

If you want the window to have a similar curve, then I don't know of any easy way to do it. You could make a couple of matching profiled walls - one for glass, one for the frame, and then use some solid element subtraction to carve out a frame and window I suppose...?

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Karl,
Extending your idea a little. After modeling the frame and glass
as you describe, would it be possible to view the assembly in
3D and save the contents of the 3D window as a window so that
it would punch it's own hole in the wall ?
As long as the complex profiled elements formed a frame
and glass laying flat on the ground I don't see why this would not work.
Thanks,
Peter Devlin
Karl Ottenstein
I think you're right, Peter. I was trying to describe the easiest solution since he sounds like a new user, but yeah, chances are he'll want more than one such window!

As you know, when you save the 3D window content as a new window object, assumes that the window was built 'flat' on the ground regardless of the 3D view. So, the profiles for the glass and frame that match the curve of the wall would have to be rotated 90 degrees in profile manager and then used with the wall or beam tool. (Or, the rotation could be done with the beam tool.)

Cheers,
Karl
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Karl,
You wrote:
"So, the profiles for the glass and frame that match the curve of the wall would have to be rotated 90 degrees in profile manager and then used with the wall or beam tool."
Exactly!
I was thinking that after Sorano went through all the work of making
three custom complex profiles, wavy wall profile, wavy side jamb profile
(a chopped off and rotated copy of wavy wall profile), a wavy glass profile
( a copy of the wavy side jamb profile put on a diet) and assembling them, saving as a window is the easy part and saves the trouble of doing SEOs on the wall.
Thanks,
Peter Devlin
Anonymous
Not applicable
firs i'm sorry if i choosing awrong forum
and thank you for your replay ,
i am used archicad at archicad 9 but i'm don't make the same shape then i don't try it now i want to learn make a gdl object because i'm still don know how i can make my widow can used a gdl help me or if you can clear your explain by picture i'm be thank you.
thank you
vistasp
Advisor
Hi Sorano,

When you way free window, do you by any chance mean that that it should not be a rectangle?

Thanks,
= v i s t a s p =
bT Square Peg
https://archicadstuff.blogspot.com
https://www.btsquarepeg.com
| AC 9-27 INT | Win11 | Ryzen 5700 | 32 GB | RTX 3050 |
Karl Ottenstein
Hi Sorano,

See if either of these articles is helpful, or is related to what you want to do:

http://www.archicadwiki.com/TechNotes/Creating_custom_windows?highlight=%28window%29%7C%28custom%29

or

http://www.archicadwiki.com/TechNotes/Using_SEO_to_Create_Custom_Windows?highlight=%28window%29%7C%2...

Regards,
Karl
Anonymous
Not applicable
there is a three-click-way, if you have C4D.

-download the free plugin
-form 3d-view: edit in C4d
-usw-bend-deformer
-send-it back

and you are done