BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

viewing 2d survey/site plan in 3d perspective

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am very new to ArchiCAD11 after years of using AutoCAD. Is it possible to view 2d lines in the 3d view mode? I have xreferenced a survey that is drawn in 3d with 2d linework. I have used the 'elevate' command to hopefully set the survey at close to the elevation of the building model. Is there a way to visually verify the location of the lines in 3d? Whenever I hit F3 to go to the 3d mode, only 3d objects are visible. In AutoCAD it is so simple to orbit or get a front or side elevation view to check the locations of 2d lines. Am I missing something really obvious here?
Thank you,
jp
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Your autocad dwg lines should be visible in 3D (if it is still a dwg, not converted to Archicad lines which are 2D only).

If you hover your cursor over a point or line endpoint in 3D window, hit Z (with tracker on) it will display the Z (elevation) co-ordinate of that point in the tracker.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the help, but for some reason i can't get the lines to display. Do I need to set up a special view to work inside of? I hit F3 while drawing on the 1st story, and nothing shows up except for the 3d elements of the building model. I have not converted the .dwg files. I have tried them as both attachments and overlays, layers locked and unlocked. Still no luck. I have tried to find a setting somewhere, but nothing seems to work. Any ideas?
Thanks!!!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Try following from step 4 here -

http://www.archicadwiki.com/TechNotes/How_to_Superimpose_a_2D_Floor_Plan_onto_a_3D_Model?highlight=%28TechNotes/%29%7C%28%E2%80%A2+ArchiCAD+11%29

I haven't tried it, so I don't know if you can snap to it in 3d on not.

Hope that helps!
Karl Ottenstein
James wrote:
I am very new to ArchiCAD11 after years of using AutoCAD. Is it possible to view 2d lines in the 3d view mode?
Any dwg/dxf that is opened, merged or xrefed into an ArchiCAD project is brought in as 2D info only. Like any ArchiCAD 2D info, none of this will show up in 3D.

Any dwg/dxf that is opened as a GDL object is viewable in 3D, but the content cannot really be edited, much less controled via layers. 2D as well as 3D info will be viewable in 3D.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Djordje
Ace
Karl wrote:
James wrote:
I am very new to ArchiCAD11 after years of using AutoCAD. Is it possible to view 2d lines in the 3d view mode?
Any dwg/dxf that is opened, merged or xrefed into an ArchiCAD project is brought in as 2D info only. Like any ArchiCAD 2D info, none of this will show up in 3D.

Any dwg/dxf that is opened as a GDL object is viewable in 3D, but the content cannot really be edited, much less controled via layers. 2D as well as 3D info will be viewable in 3D.
... and, if you want to snap to it, you will have to edit the GDL code and add hotspots.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the help guys. Its all a little more complex than I was hoping. Now, when I am opening a .dwg file in archicad that is drawn with lines existing at various elevations, and archicad is making the drawing information 2d, does that mean all of the lines are being 'flattened' to 0' elevation (or whatever the pre-set elevation is for the particular story I'm xrefing )??
So if the survey dwg file has all the lines drawn at 670-680', when I bring the file to archicad it automatically brings all the line work to the story's elevation and does not require me to lower the xref by 680' to get it to 0?
Do I make any sense?
Thanks for all the help and feedback!!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Now, when I am opening a .dwg file in archicad that is drawn with lines existing at various elevations, and archicad is making the drawing information 2d, does that mean all of the lines are being 'flattened' to 0' elevation (or whatever the pre-set elevation is for the particular story I'm xrefing )??
So if the survey dwg file has all the lines drawn at 670-680', when I bring the file to archicad it automatically brings all the line work to the story's elevation and does not require me to lower the xref by 680' to get it to 0?
All 2d lines in ArchiCAD have no 3d information associated with them. They are nowhere in 3d space. You shouldn't think of them being at a particular height or level. You don't have to (and can't) 'flatten' them.

If you don't need control of the individual layers, have you thought about placing the DWG as a drawing onto the floor plan, rather than opening it or XREFing it? It might be simpler. You can put it on a layer and turn the whole thing on and off, you can still snap to the individual line and edit the boundary, like any polygonal shape, to hide bits you don't need to see.

I'm assuming all you want to do is create the terrain for the site, so I'd place the DWG as a drawing, trace over the top with the mesh tool, add individual points or contours and adjust the heights as necessary. (I guess the site DWG would have the heights written on it, so use those to manually type in) Then hide or delete the DWG.

If the site is large or you will be using 3d DWGs often, it may be worth investigating Architerra here, as I believe it can automatically convert 3d DWG/DXF into meshes.
rjwilden
Booster
I think its about time the Archicad was able to convert survey information into a mesh. A small house lot is fine with the current method anything bigger a chore. Even skecthup can do this.

Richard
Richard Wilden Design. Ltd
Dunedin, New Zealand.
Imac 27" i9 3.6GHz; 32GB Ram Mac OS 11.3
Archicad V23:V24
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the help!!
I think understanding that 2d lines don't exist at various elevations is the epiphany I needed in order to get a better grasp on drawing with ArchiCAD. It is a completely different animal than Autocad/sketchup/Rhino and I need to stop trying to relate to those programs so much when trying to figure out the drawing process.

I appreciate all of the support on this forum.
Thanks!!
Learn and get certified!