Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.
SOLVED!

BOQ’s how do you organize them with AC to send them to XL ?

mthd
Ace

Hi, I wanted to how others are organizing bills of quantities in AC to export to a spread sheet like XL ? I would like to know how this is done without GDL scripting. It seems like the scaffolding is in place with the interactive schedules. All we need is a full schedule with all the items needed to complete a project. To be able to add prices formulas and wastage factors etc right inside AC without exporting to a spread sheet or into another application. In the project browser we could have a separate BOQ’s generating while we build the 3D model and add detailed components to it. Just curious to know what others are doing with AC.

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Josh Verran
Expert

Hi there

No sure if this is useful, but I tend use Interactive Schedules, setup around our classification system, for example a seperate schedule for each branch.
Expression based properties are the key here. Whilst each element might hold the relevant data in unique ways, expression based properties can bring these together in a usable, coordinated way.

GRAPHISOFT CERTIFIED ARCHICAD BIM MANAGER

ARCHICAD 18-27 | BIMcloud Basic | CI Tools | Grasshopper - Rhino | CloudCompare | Bluebeam

LinkedIn | www.creativespace.co.nz | Tauranga, New Zealand

Windows 10 Pro | Intel Core i9-9900K @3.60GHZ | 32Gb RAM | 2xSamsung S27F350 1920x1080 60Hz | Nvidia Quadro P2200 (5Gb)

View solution in original post

Solution
bouhmidage
Advisor

Hi there, 

I use Archicad as a quantity calculation system, all my QTO are based on classification , applied to elements OR building materials, but i trust building materials more,

Having a classification applied to a BM is a good start point to avoid missing / wrong classified elements, it's like a database for all your stuff, a simple rule could be applied : 

• 1 building material = 1 classification item
  • Multiple copies of building  materials for the same BM in reality ( Cladding strong / Cladding Weak etc ) = 1 classification item

then use component schedule to extract data.

When i need to classify elements not BM ( stair treads, objects, windows etc ) i Use Graphic overrides to check for missing /  wrong classifications, graphic overrides are applies by class subtree , each group have a color in 3D

Also i Exclude that elements from component schedule if they have a classified BM to avoid duplicate quantities.

generated excel reports are exported to excel,  excel can merge them using power-query, All calculations are made there, easier, and error free, 

I tried to calculate and assign units inside Archicad, it could be done for elements with a bunch of properties, quantity extraction scenarios definition, and a lot of formulas, 

For components / building materials, there's no calculation solution inside archicad.

I hope it helps

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 10 GB
Archicad 25
Windows 10 professional
https://www.behance.net/Nuance-Architects

Solution

I publish one massive schedule with everything.

Then my excel master file reads the data into the relevant locations for my full quantity list that's organized for printing or showing changes in potential cost.

14 REPLIES 14
Solution
Josh Verran
Expert

Hi there

No sure if this is useful, but I tend use Interactive Schedules, setup around our classification system, for example a seperate schedule for each branch.
Expression based properties are the key here. Whilst each element might hold the relevant data in unique ways, expression based properties can bring these together in a usable, coordinated way.

ARCHICAD 18-27 | BIMcloud Basic | CI Tools | Grasshopper - Rhino | CloudCompare | Bluebeam

Windows 10 Pro | Intel Core i9-9900K @3.60GHZ | 32Gb RAM | 2xSamsung S27F350 1920x1080 60Hz | Nvidia Quadro P2200 (5Gb)
mthd
Ace

For simplicity sake to explain what I would like AC to do similarly, please watch this short video on how Chief Architect does cost estimates and quantify take offs. Bear in mind that CA is predominantly designed for low rise residential and light commercial work.

This shouldn’t be that hard to organise right inside AC with a special add on for those of us that need it. There is a webinar scheduled for AC Hong Kong on BOQ’s coming soon to show how they do it with AC, probably for much larger and complex projects.

Because some us don’t do very complicated designs and I am familiar with CA. I would simply draw my house in this app if I needed to export quantities for estimates.

Please note it doesn’t really need to be that complicated when you see how they do it with CA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-qGpK5BSRY

We can get the idea that all the scheduled information in an AC project can brought together in a similar simple manner for BOQ’s.

Solution
bouhmidage
Advisor

Hi there, 

I use Archicad as a quantity calculation system, all my QTO are based on classification , applied to elements OR building materials, but i trust building materials more,

Having a classification applied to a BM is a good start point to avoid missing / wrong classified elements, it's like a database for all your stuff, a simple rule could be applied : 

• 1 building material = 1 classification item
  • Multiple copies of building  materials for the same BM in reality ( Cladding strong / Cladding Weak etc ) = 1 classification item

then use component schedule to extract data.

When i need to classify elements not BM ( stair treads, objects, windows etc ) i Use Graphic overrides to check for missing /  wrong classifications, graphic overrides are applies by class subtree , each group have a color in 3D

Also i Exclude that elements from component schedule if they have a classified BM to avoid duplicate quantities.

generated excel reports are exported to excel,  excel can merge them using power-query, All calculations are made there, easier, and error free, 

I tried to calculate and assign units inside Archicad, it could be done for elements with a bunch of properties, quantity extraction scenarios definition, and a lot of formulas, 

For components / building materials, there's no calculation solution inside archicad.

I hope it helps

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 10 GB
Archicad 25
Windows 10 professional
https://www.behance.net/Nuance-Architects

Hi @bouhmidage, it certainly helps very much to see your method explained here. I particularly like how you check for missing items and duplicates because that is very important. Keeping track of everything being produced in AC is not really that easy but I can certainly learn from your practical method.

Hi @Josh Verran, Thank you for sharing those tips and I will certainly look into those aspects of AC in the near future. I am currently only using it for 3D modeling, design and drafting. I have used Chief Architect in the past to help with producing framing plans for manual take off entered into a spread sheet. I have also produced roof framing plans with AC using the roof wizard tool for quantity take off.

I can see the Chief Architect guys have a lot of things figured out. Why can´t this software be used for bigger or less standard stuff again?

AC certainly has the potential with the development of one master schedule quantity list with costing included and a more automated framing system. It just needs to be coordinated and organised. Right now it can get quite complicated when you see what they have to do with C5D estimating.

mthd
Ace

Hi, I think I have figured out what I need to do now and how to go about BOQ’s & QTO including a cost estimating spread sheet in Archicad.

I found this excellent video tutorial applicable in my region.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ03ZiawKTw

Thank you to all above for your help including the author of the YTV.

Also looking forward to seeing the GS Asia webinar on BOQ’s. 

Josh Verran
Expert

Perhaps this might help also.
As far as exporting to excel, have a look in the publisher set, and you've got options for List, CSV etc.

JoshVerran_0-1708286251241.png