BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Crash on certain workstations...

vfrontiers
Enthusiast
I am searching for possible reasons why certain files will crash when opening on one workstation on my network, but not crash on others. This is the 2nd firm I've worked for where this happens...

At location A, one workstation will crash when opening certain files. Upon opening, it makes it thru all the library loading and reporting and gets to the plan view and crashes. Just disappears, so no bug reporter... File will show as IN USE when it's next opened (obviously, as it wasn't shut down properly).

Differences between this workstation and another that has no problems, are few... Crashing machine has two monitors, both run XP Home... Both have same build of ArchiCAD. Specs are relatively similar... 2.6 ghz vs 2.8ghz HT... Both have no NETWORK TROUBLES...

But with other files, both computers work just fine. I've tried my best to match things like MAPPED DRIVE letters, etc.

Same thing is now happening at my new firm. My laptop will not open a file from the server while all other workstations will. Here, I am running XPHome on my laptop while the workstations are on XP PRO.

Anyone?
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
7 REPLIES 7
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Also, same thing happens with AC 11...

I am guessing at a couple possible reasons...

PATH NAMES may be too long?

LIBRARIES or other attached paths may be causing problems.

help!
Duane

Visual Frontiers

This has been happening to me in an an office where both Macs (mac-intel & PPC) and PCs have touched the projects.

The solution seems to have been deleting the Preferences files as per notes on the ArchiCAD Wiki on the machine that crashes.

Hope that solves the problem.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Aaron,

My old office did have a Mac in the mix... but this one does not. I tried nixing the prefs... but the problem still exists..

Thanks,
Duane
Duane

Visual Frontiers

David Pacifico
Booster
Hello Duane
What I have to do sometimes is:
Start ArchiCAD and open a new file with the default template. Let it load everything. Let the little ArchiJury window open and close it. Sometimes I'll quickly draw a few wall and open the 3D window.

I'll close that file and open the one that crashed on opening and it will be fine.
David Pacifico, RA

AC27 iMac i9, 32 gig Ram, 8 gig video Ram
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
David,

I have really tried everything... from opening with 11 to starting a new file and MODULING everything into it from the tainted file....

So yesterday the new computer arrived... loaded w/ XP Pro and voila... no problema..

I realize that Graphisoft has had the XP PRO on the REQUIREMENTS list and it would seem necessary for a server type situation....
Duane

Visual Frontiers

Anonymous
Not applicable
One other reason, which we recently discovered in our office is the video card. We had 2 stations that were constantly getting bug reports while the other 3 had nowhere near the same amount of trouble. We narrowed it down to the type of video card, replaced both of them with NVIDIA brand cards and have not had anywhere near the amount of trouble we were having previously. (productivity has improved greatly...)
Erika Epstein
Booster
Duane, I've had this happen occaisionally on both my machines, xp pro. Doing as David a new and reset works for me. Cleans out the cobwebs.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Learn and get certified!