BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Design Options with overlapping zones

I'm working on a stock house plan that has a pantry with shelves off the kitchen with 2 options for either a spice kitchen or cabinet pantry. I need the zones to have these different names. Also, there is a void space in one corner that varies in size for each option, which will affect the size of each optional zone.

Will there be any issues with overlapping zones in various design options PRIOR to accepting and merging the chosen option? I'd like to know before I get too far in modeling this house.

AC27 USA - build 5003
HP ZBook 15 G6
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9850H CPU @ 2.60GHz, 16GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro
2 REPLIES 2
Barry Kelly

The zones in design options will not really be overlapping.

It is not like having multiple zones in multiple layers that all belong to the project.

Anything in a design option is not active until that design option is turned on.

And so long as both pantry options are in the same design set, you can only have one active at any time.

The other design options will be ignored.

Then as soon as you merge the design options into the main model to finalise your design, the other unselected ones will be deleted altogether - their zones along with them.

If you have the pantry options in different design sets, you could turn both options on at the same time.

And yes, then you will have overlapping zones.

As long as you don't merge both options into the main model, there should be no problems though.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Marc H
Advisor

I prefer to be positive, but I have experienced several issues with DOs. Most recently, they appear to be with the behavior of zones, especially manual types (which would presumably apply here).

Unless an imperative to use zones, I would prefer placing a full-size kitchen zone and utizing fills for the sub-areas (pantry spaces) until DOs are more mature.

“The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time.” - Abraham Lincoln

AC27 USA on 16” 2019 MBP (2.4GHz i9 8-Core, 32GB DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8G GDDR5, 500GB SSD, T3s, Trackpad use) running Sonoma OS + extended w/ (2) 32" ASUS ProArt PAU32C (4K) Monitors
Learn and get certified!