Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.
SOLVED!

Expression to convert meter in centimeter

Xavi
Contributor

Hello everyone.

Can you help me to configure an expression to have the information as the attach picture. I guess is a simply one, is just to have meters in "cm" or "mm" and only with two decimal houses.

The solution using Calculation Units in the Options > Project Preferences > Calculation Units & Rules Dialog, doesn’t work for me because I do not want the schedules to use centimeter.

Thanks for your time to read my issue

Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 03.47.32.png

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Xandros
Expert

Hi

you could try the following. But need to change the datatype to text for this

STR ( Thickness / 1 m * 100; 2 )

ArchiCAD 26 GER / Win10
Intel i9-9900K / 64GB RAM / nVidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

View solution in original post

Solution

If you want your calculation to remain as a number, then you must set the data type as a number and convert the thickness in the expression to centimetres by dividing by 1m to remove the units.

Then multiply by the factor you want to increase / decrease by (100 in this case to get meters to centimetres).

BarryKelly_0-1697701666618.png

You can then use this property in schedules and it will still add - but technically it has no units.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Solution

@Xavi wrote:

Graphisoft should improve the label skin, so could read any element and with the option to choose which decimal and units we want. 🙂

You can't pick and choose which skin to label, but you can change the units and decimal precision.

BarryKelly_0-1697771518840.png

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

6 REPLIES 6
Solution
Xandros
Expert

Hi

you could try the following. But need to change the datatype to text for this

STR ( Thickness / 1 m * 100; 2 )

ArchiCAD 26 GER / Win10
Intel i9-9900K / 64GB RAM / nVidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
Solution

If you want your calculation to remain as a number, then you must set the data type as a number and convert the thickness in the expression to centimetres by dividing by 1m to remove the units.

Then multiply by the factor you want to increase / decrease by (100 in this case to get meters to centimetres).

BarryKelly_0-1697701666618.png

You can then use this property in schedules and it will still add - but technically it has no units.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
Xavi
Contributor

Thank you  Xandros and Barry, for the quick reply.

Did work perfectly. I appreciate the help. 

Graphisoft should improve the label skin, so could read any element and with the option to choose which decimal and units we want. 🙂

Solution

@Xavi wrote:

You can't pick and choose which skin to label, but you can change the units and decimal precision.

BarryKelly_0-1697771518840.png

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
Xavi
Contributor

Yes am using that label, but this one works for compositing elements and not for complex profile for example (doesn't read the thickness, and skins).

So at the moment I am using Label skins for compositing elements (walls, slabs etc..)

and for complex profile i use auto text, extracting the information from the "Profile modifiers".

Is working but, would be great to have just one tool to do this two operations.

At the moment I have another issue, because I would like to save this label as "2D Elements Label with auto text" but doesn't work.

If you could take a look att the link I would appreciate. 

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Archicad-C-API/Save-2D-Elements-as-Label-auto-text-empty/m-p/571...

Thanks Barry

@Xavi wrote:

Yes am using that label, but this one works for compositing elements and not for complex profile for example (doesn't read the thickness, and skins).

Complex profiles do not have skins like a composite does.

They may look similar in some situations, but the fills for a complex profile can be any shape and in any position, not just stacked next to each other as skins in a composite.

That is why you can not get a skin thickness for a complex profile.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27