BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Layers

Anonymous
Not applicable
We are having some debate in our office as to the level of complexity of our layering system (the number of layers). We are quite a large practice and multi disciplinary and so our layering system has increased to over two hundred layers. Is this unnecessary? Should we simplify and how?
Thanks in advance.
DF
27 REPLIES 27
TomWaltz
Participant
We're 450 people with architecture, MEP, structure, and civil and have only about 100 layers.
Tom Waltz
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Likewise. I don't think I've ever created a template with more than 100 layers.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Try searching the forum. This was discussed at length a little while ago, with many and varied suggestions.
Thomas Holm
Booster
TomWaltz wrote:
We're 450 people with architecture, MEP, structure, and civil and have only about 100 layers.
We're 5. So 1 layer should be enough for us
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Thomas wrote:
We're 5. So 1 layer should be enough for us
There once was an otherwise very nice guy who was working on a pretty large project that had a deadline, and I was called to help near the end with 'the model'. He gave me a file for me to work on, and sort of apologetically explained that because of the rush he was not caring about layers, he was 'just' putting everything in the ArchiCAD layer, which in his mind simplified and expedited things (btw, he was working from a pretty solid template file that had all possible views predefined etc.).
- But how do you do then with your RCPs, finish plans, equipment plans…?
- That's easy! I just copy everything, paste it on some other story, and draw my RCP in that story!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ignacio

I think you need a disclaimer on your message saying "This is not recommended practice" before someone thinks "hey, what a great idea "
Dwight
Newcomer
It also simplifies work to use the same pen weight and color for everything.
Dwight Atkinson
__archiben
Booster
s2art wrote:
I think you need a disclaimer on your message saying "This is not recommended practice" before someone thinks "hey, what a great idea "
i think it's already waaaay too late for that in some places . . . !

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Thomas Holm
Booster
s2art wrote:
I think you need a disclaimer on your message saying "This is not recommended practice"... "
I think I'll add that to my signature... eh... Link???
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Learn and get certified!