BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Question - hotlinking/mod files

AM2
Participant

Hi, Im new to archicad and am using Archicad 27. 

We have finished our first set of documentation for a multi-dwelling project and have separated each dwelling into 5 files. Those being - Dwelling 1, Dwelling 2, Dwelling 3, Dwelling 4 and Masterplan/site plan. The master plan has Dwelling `1-4 files hotlinked for Council Submission.

Now that we have received approval, do we complete the working drawings in each original original file,m then hotlink the new file into the master file? 

Or do you create new layer combinations in the master file, such as dwelling 1 :working drawings and create working drawings within the master file.

Sorry if this is confusing.

Does anyone have any video tutorials on how to do this?

Thank you for your help. 

5 REPLIES 5
Karl Ottenstein

Typically, each bulding’s file would have the construction documentation for that building as part of that file since the building would be modeled orthogonally in the file… vs some arbitrary rotation on the site.  The master file for a multi building scenario would just be for the various site plans.  Just a rule of thumb since for a steeply sloping site with particular geotechnical conditions, you might well have the foundation in the master file due to needing ground beams to connect the foundations for the individual buildings.

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

Thanks for the response Karl. What happens to the layout book of each file. Will they stay separate? or is there a way to combine the layout books so when i publish them to PDF, all pdfs from all 5 working files are combined. Or for example Master File will be page 1 in layout book, Dwelling will have page 2-10, dwelling 3 file with have pages 11-20 and so on. Does this will mean i will need publish 5 separate pdfs then combine them later on in a separate pdf software such as adobe pro?

Lingwisyer
Guru

I use PDFSam Basic to merge files.

I recently started a new project and I am linking Views from different files into the Master so that all of the layouts are in one file, but it is reeeally slow to update as it needs to open each file one by one to read the View Map...

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660

Thanks for the response Lingwisyer. How do you link a view?

Lingwisyer
Guru

Drawing Tool => External Source => [Relevant File] => Source View

File => External Content => Place External Drawing => [Relevant File] => Source View

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Learn and get certified!