BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

!Restored: Opening AC 11 files in 9.....

Anonymous
Not applicable
We recently went from version 9 to 11. Left projects that are already drafted/modeled in 9 alone (If revisions had to be done....we still use 9). And New projects are now started using 11.

Here are the details:
We accidentally opened a 9 project in 11. Is there a way to reverse the process? I just want to avoid any plotmaker issues... I'll see if its possible to import views from AC 11 into plotmaker 9 right now if in any case there are no ways turn the 11 project into 9.

Any input on this is appreciated.
Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think AC11 can only save back to AC10 (which can then save as 9)
Anonymous
Not applicable
s2art wrote:
I think AC11 can only save back to AC10 (which can then save as 9)
Yeah, it doesn't look hopeful (we never went through version 10). And I just tried updating one of the plotmaker 9 views.....and what happened was exactly what I imagined would happen.... it does not recognize the view anymore and gives me a blank view now. We are now facing the possibility of having to redo or import the layouts from the plotmaker 9 file into the accidentally created AC 11 file. We have one last hope that the conversion did not happen so long ago and that the 9 version would still exist in one of the backup drives that we had setup to back-up all files on a daily basis. which overwrites after 7 days.
Anonymous
Not applicable
or just carry on in AC11
Anonymous
Not applicable
s2art wrote:
or just carry on in AC11
Yeah, thats possible. (don't get me wrong, I'd love to convert all projects to 11) ... trying to explain this to the big boss might be chaos at times though
regardless, thanks for the input.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well, unfortunately... it happened again with a colleague of mine. Double clicked the file (mac by the way) and it opened in 11. I already know what we have to do and either way... it is work which is frustrating and a waste of time.

I have 2 suggestions because of this incident that occurred 2 times already..

1. All future versions of AC should have a pop-up window that says "hey, this is an AC9 file...are you SURE you want to open this in AC XX?!" - this could at least give the user a warning if a pln file will be opened on a different version of AC.

2. Proper file associations. AC9 files only open in AC9 and AC XX files only open in AC XX. Maybe this is something that has to be done on the users end. If so, could anyone suggest how to do it on a Mac OS and also the way how to do it on Windows OS?

Thanks again for tips and suggestions...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Back-up suggestion:

For Friday's back-up have 4 tapes - Friday 1, Friday 2...etc

Use them in rotation so that over-written or deleted files can be recovered for nearly 5 weeks. This can be very valuable as it often takes a few weeks to realise a seldom-used file is missing/corrupt.

Life-saver!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Samovar wrote:
Back-up suggestion:

For Friday's back-up have 4 tapes - Friday 1, Friday 2...etc

Use them in rotation so that over-written or deleted files can be recovered for nearly 5 weeks.
Good tip Samovar. Thanks
Learn and get certified!