BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Wall surface types by zone

ProjektW
Beginner

Please, take a look at the pictures I prepared to explain my problem.  

I created a simple "building" with two rooms. One room is completely white, the other one is completely orange. Otherwise they are identical.  

I am trying create a schedule of the wall surfaces, ordered by zones, which would give me the information, how much surface of either of the rooms is supposed to be covered with paint and which kind thereof. The expected result is something like this:  

Room 1 - white - 64 m2  
Room 2 - orange - 64 m2  

But the wall in the middle is the source of a problem. Wchichever way I'm trying to organize surfaces by zones, that wall is always treated as a part of either of the zones in its ENTIRETY, with both surfaces treated as belonging to that zone. That means that in the schedule both of the surfaces incorrectly show up under only one zone. Meanwhile the other zone gets entirely deprived of that wall and only the surfaces of the 3 other walls are listed there. See attached picture of the resulting schedule.  

Is there any way to do it the proper way?  

Archicad appears geared towards making schedules of surfaces categorized by walls or slabs. What I need is a schedule of surfaces categorized by zones. To put it differently, a schedule of surfaces bordering each zone. Something that would assign one surface of that middle wall to one zone and the opposite surface to the other zone.  

Best

pic 1.png

pic 2.png

2 REPLIES 2
Jp1138
Expert

I think that, as a wall can only be part of a zone, you can not measure the painting as you are trying to do. You can make a property that takes the perimeter and height of a zone to calculate its wall area, but it would only work in simple cases where all the walls of the zone have the same finish. Maybe there is a simpler way I´m missing, though 🤔

ARCHICAD 27 SPA
Windows 10
ProjektW
Beginner

That's actually quite smart, but as you already pointed out, that would not be useful unless all finishes are the same...

I guess a primitive workaround would be creating two sides of a wall as two separate wall objects, which then could be classified into two zones independently of each other. But the thought of it alone makes me cringe.

Learn and get certified!