BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

layers question

Anonymous
Not applicable
is it possible to find out what elements/lines or whatever are in a certain layer?

i am sorting out a huge mess of an archicad file which has been drawn up by a bunch of retarded cad numpties - with every bad cad habit in the book!

i have many rogue layers i need to find info in them, but the numpties have hidden data quite well in this project.

when i purge unused layers, some are not purging out because of this.
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Use a schedule to select all elements and show their layers.
You can change layer from the schedule (provided element and/or layer is not locked).
... doesn't work for 2D stuff. Use search for this.
Anonymous
Not applicable
the elements i am looking for will be mainly text, lines, and fills.

can i do a search within archicad for these by layer?

the rogue layer items will be within elevations, sections, and layout sheets. there is so many i have tried going many of them individually but still cant find the offending items.

its on Archicad 13 BTW.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Try going to the Menu and selecting Edit>Find and select. Then set the criteria in a similar way to the attachment. When you are happy with the criteria hit the '+' and the objects that satisfy these criteria will be selected.
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks, using that method would i still have to go through all the sections and elevations in the project manually/individually?
Anonymous
Not applicable
For the sections and elevations just remember that they largely reflect what has been modelled.

If you are finding the projects elevations and sections have a lot of additional linework which doesnt relate back to modelled elements then you may have a bit of work on your hands.

At some point those that you acquired the project from may have given up on developing ordered layers and combinations or may not have known how. I suggest going through your project and listing the layers that you wish to keep. Then through the 'Find and Select' tool select the objects based on the type of element they are and send them to one of your layers.

At the end delete the unnecessary layers and develop appropriate layer combinations for your saved views.
Stress Co_
Advisor
An old WISH
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Learn and get certified!