BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Sustainable design
About EcoDesigner, Energy Evaluation, Life Cycle Assessment, etc.

EcoDesigner questions

Now that EcoDesigner is built into version 16, can we discuss it here? Shouldnt it have its own category in AC-Talk?

Anyway....
London is a very cold place. so thinks Graphisoft. According to the weather file in ArchiCAD 16, it seems that the temperature in London is ZERO degrees, Every day of the year! Anybody wanting to do an Energy evaluation for the UK has to use Brussells (similar) or Paris (too hot). Can this be rectified please? Where else can we download weather data from, I havent worked out how to get it from Strusoft yet. Cant find it without having to buy their software. What about Ashrae or Cibse?

Also, its very confusing if you have anything other than a gas boiler. If you have a heat pump of any kind, the program still thinks it is run with gas.

I am still wondering how it will cope with MVHR. heat reclaim.

It took a very very long time for it to recognise that there was a roof on the building. I got the hang of getting the roofs to cut the zones (was a sloping ceiling), but it always says that zones need updating. also, you have to fool the programe if you want it to unlock the UValues of the walls and get it to work with a good uvalue.

Still. thanks for including it in ArchiCAD 16, and lets hope that it can be made better. Where is the manual for it? Theres a short section in the AC16 reference manual. surely, it deserve a PDF of its own now?
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
I can't comment on Ecodesigner much as I haven't used it yet(apart from a few minutes fiddling), but I do agree it needs it's own category...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi David,

yes you are correct, Climate data from Strusoft shows zero degrees throughout the season. However, with the new version of Energy Evaluation(we don't call it Ecodesigner anymore) you can import high quality, certified analytic weather data from other sources as well. Some of these are available for free download, while some can be purchased.

I use Energyplus weather data all the time and its free resource as well. check link below for UK's weather data.
Weather Data-EnergyPlus

With regard to R or U-value calculation, Energy evaluation is using stationary algorithm that is used by most national standards, where it includes heat transmission coefficient values in the formula. So if your country is not using the same formula then it’s very handy to use override option.

For more information, have a look at AC16 Reference guide Page 1534-1611.

Good news is, Graphisoft will be releasing enhanced version of Energy evaluation tool and will be available as a standalone product later in 2012. Energy Evaluation will have advanced calculation and energy certification capabilities to meet local regulations.

Fingers crossed.
Katalin Takacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Thanks Kevin for your comment. As an additional information: we reported the problem to Strusoft.

David,
it was nice to meet you at the ACUA Summer School, and see your superb designs.
If you have any further questions about Energy Evaluation, feel free to contact us.

As you can see, we opened a new section for Green Architecture. You can use it to discuss Energy Evaluation and Eco Designer related questions.

Best regards,
Katalin Takacs
Tom Krowka
Booster
What override option?
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Tom Krowka
Booster
Good news is, Graphisoft will be releasing enhanced version of Energy evaluation tool and will be available as a standalone product later in 2012. Energy Evaluation will have advanced calculation and energy certification capabilities to meet local regulations.
So GS included a "feature" that really won't be a feature but an additonal purchase later in the year? Doesn't seem like something I would expect from GS.
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
aahatimo
Newcomer
similar to the removal of export to phpp. we now have a crippled 'free' version of ecodesigner.
thanks, gs for the improvements!
tim hanagan
aaha! design studio durango, co
27" retina 5k iMac 4ghz i7 os 10.13.6 m395x 4 mb, 32gb ram, 512 gb ssd ac 22 current
15" retina mbp 2.6ghz 1mb 16gb ac 22 current[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tom wrote:
What override option?
Archicad 16 Ref Pp 1564-1565
override.png
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Energy Evaluation in AC16 problem here :
I have a house with 440m2 gross area with it's primary function as residential. In reality the building is going to be used by 6 people.

Energy Performace Evaluation tells me the building is going to use 33200kWh/a for hot water generation (Natural Gas 92% efficiency 10-45C) which is more-less 3 times to much assuming 100L daily per capita.

How is the amount of occupants counted for residentail profile and how can I change it ?

Actually what for is the hot water generation included in this Evaluation as it has not to much to do with architecture design ?... As an architect I can't change this amount by the form of the building , can I ?
I undestand its a cool information and looks proffesional on paper but is completely useless if its 3x to high and relies on a factor I (if) can't change...

Please help.
FS
Learn and get certified!