BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Teamwork & BIMcloud
About Teamwork, BIMcloud, BIMcloud Basic, BIMcloud Software as a Service, network settings, etc.
SOLVED!

BIMcloud Basic spiking at 80% memory usage

ericw
Contributor

Hi all,

I have an observation that I would like to seek your opinion. We have a few Archicad 24 users trying to access the BIMcloud server for their project. 

Initially, it was ok for a few months until last week, some of them experienced their .pln crashed while working. It will crash at any point during their modelling. I looked into the BIM server and noticed the memory usage is 80~ %

ericw_0-1698739360804.png

The server is a W2016 standard server, 40TB SSD and 40GB RAM.

I would like to know whether it was the memory usage that cause the crash or its the model they are working on that causes it.

If it is the memory that causes it, is there a rule of thumb of acceptable level of RAM usage, considering we have 10 pln files which are 1 ~ 2 GB size sharing amongst the team

Thanks

Eric

Dell Precison 3660

i7 , 1TB , NVIDIA Quadro 8GB

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Lingwisyer
Guru

I do not know how granular BIMCloud Server reports it's resources, but you are just wanting to log your servers RAM usage, activity and connections. You can then see whether there are any spikes in resource usage that may corrilate to a follow up of reduced network activity or user drop out.

Given your second response, might you guys working on Virtual Machines hosted on the same server as your BimCloud Server?

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

The problem you're describing - the workstations crashing - could be corruption of their local data. One cause of this is a hard drive with insufficient free space for AC to properly handle the data on the workstation. Our machines typically want 100Gb of free space to work on our projects.

Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1

actually they are working from server. I dont think there is any local data. So, once it crashed, they have to 'repair' the file, which is very tedious. So, they copy the pln file and work from their local drive

In teamwork, no-one works directly from the server ...

Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
ericw
Contributor

I am sorry . Noob here. Basically BIMCloud server is installed in the server hosting all the files for the team to work on. My BIM manager installed BIMCloud manager in her laptop. The crash happens at random. Thats when i remote to the server and found the memory spike. Hence, the question.

You should probably take a log of your servers RAM usage to see if there actually is a corrilation...

ericw
Contributor

Thank you Lingwisyer. May I know what logs do I need to get? Is it from BIMCloud Server or the Windows Server logs? Basically, I like to know how to calculate the RAM usage for each project hosted in BIMcloud. Thanks

Solution
Lingwisyer
Guru

I do not know how granular BIMCloud Server reports it's resources, but you are just wanting to log your servers RAM usage, activity and connections. You can then see whether there are any spikes in resource usage that may corrilate to a follow up of reduced network activity or user drop out.

Given your second response, might you guys working on Virtual Machines hosted on the same server as your BimCloud Server?

Ling.

ericw
Contributor

Our BIMCloud server is installed on Hyper-V. So is our project folders. 

Learn and get certified!

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!