BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

3D model showing sunlight through when rendering

eugenio_farri
Contributor

I couldn't find any discussion about this issue I'm having when rendering in AC26. Walls are (I assume) correctly joint on Plan View, however at the time of rendering, I'm getting all this sunlight as if the geometry were not properly connected.

Thanks. 

Screenshot 2024-01-30 095037.png

Screenshot 2024-01-30 095248.png

8 REPLIES 8
mthd
Ace

Yes I can see a white line appearing at the joins of your walls and I am wondering what could be causing that to show up in the rendering ? I seems like a white pen line from an element like the wall is showing up in the rendering ? Is that white line there in the 3D window before rendering in C4D ?

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura
eugenio_farri
Contributor

Hi, doesn't look like a white line, however I can see the walls' edge lines (see snip attached) You think is something to do with the configuration of the walls on plan and section that has a pen setting glowing in the 3D render?

Screenshot 2024-01-30 155517.png

I am pretty sure it is a rendering setting and not a modelling problem.

Just don't ask me what settings as I don't do enough renders to remember.

Try using different scenes to see what the effect is.

If I had to guess it would be something to do with ray threshold or ray depth - it usually seems to be those that have the most affect.

BarryKelly_0-1706584378030.png

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Thanks, Barry, will try those changes and let you know.

Not sure why the wall joins are rendering as white in C4D ? It looks like a material or a white joining strip along the joins of the walls ? I have just recently rendered in AC26 & AC27 with C4D and I do not get those wall lines. Do you have Redshift as well or just the basic rendering engine ? You could try those options and see if that problem replicates ?

eugenio_farri
Contributor

Found the issue!

It wasn't any of the General settings, however it was very close to that.

As standard, apparently "Use Physical Renderer" was causing the white lines. I've un-ticked the option and now is looking great

eugenio_farri_0-1706585666120.png

eugenio_farri_1-1706585707356.png

Glad you found it.

There is probably a setting or two in the physical render settings that you can tweak as well to fix it.

Or just turn it of as you have done.

The render settings are quite complicated and sometimes it is a combination of settings that can cause problems.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

That is good to know @eugenio_farri, those settings can make a big difference in the results. I learned a bit more today from your little problem that will help me in my future rendering as well.

Learn and get certified!