BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

ArchiCAD To Artlantis Material References

Chris Grantham
Advocate
So I posted something about this a while back on the artlantis board and never got a good answer. (Just re-posted there too) We are using ArchiCAD 16 (the latest build) along with Artlantis 4.1 and the appropriate plugin. For some reason whenever I try to export a revised ArchiCAD model and use a previous artlantis file as a reference it does not bring over any of the materials from the previous file. Views, objects, suns, ect.. all import fine with the exception of the materials which of course are the most time consuming. Yes, I know I can make a postcard of the previous model and re-dress everything, but that is a fairly weak work around. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
16" MacBook Pro M1 Max
Mac OS 12.2.1
ArchiCAD 25 Build 6005
4 REPLIES 4
Karl Ottenstein
No idea why that's not working for you, Chris. I've been doing the same - AC 16 and Artlantis 4.1 with reference file - for a couple of months on one project as it evolved, always selecting the most recently saved ATL file as the reference for the newly exported one. No problems at all.

Do you have the 5/28/2013 export add-on from 16 to Artlantis 4.1?
http://artlantis.com/index.php?page=download/plugin/index

The only other thing I can suggest trying is to NOT use the reference file when exporting from AC, but just export the ATL. Then, in Artlantis, open the new ATL file and go to File > User Reference File... and locate your reference file and fill in the options.

PS I have NOT been using the 'unique layer' option when exporting, in case that is the difference in our experiences.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Chris Grantham
Advocate
Thanks Karl,
I've tried everything except the unique layer thing... I'll give that a shot and let you know how it goes.
-Chris
16" MacBook Pro M1 Max
Mac OS 12.2.1
ArchiCAD 25 Build 6005
Chris Grantham
Advocate
Nope... still not working. Thanks for the thoughts though.
16" MacBook Pro M1 Max
Mac OS 12.2.1
ArchiCAD 25 Build 6005
Karl Ottenstein
Chris wrote:
I've tried everything except the unique layer thing... I'll give that a shot and let you know how it goes.
-Chris
Actually, it was the unique layer that I did NOT choose. (I think if you use unique layer, then the reference file would have had to have used it also.) But, you're saying that even doing a standard export, and then using the File > User Reference File within Artlantis itself doesn't work?

Again, the 2013 downloaded plug-in update for export, and Artlantis 4.1 updated to the 4.1.8fc1 release?

If all of that, then you probably have to open a support ticket with Abvent...

Just to make sure that the workflow is working normally for a different and simple file: start a fresh project with just a slab and a wall, export, change materials in Artlantis, add an object and camera, then export again with reference and see if that works?
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Learn and get certified!