BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Can you make it render with simultaneous cores

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am using a brand new Mac Pro and I installed the new mac tel version of Archicad. It is faster than the original Archicad 10 in everything except rendering. We do short films of our projects in my office and when I look at the activity monitor during the use of archicad it is only using a single core at a time when rendering. The rest of the time it is utilizing the multiple cores. It just seems like if you set the rendering engine to use all the cores simultaneously to say render multiple frames at once on the same computer it would make the software unbeatable.
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
I heard about it.
Congratulation
Especially very fast with LW-rendering with every possible setting.
Enjoy the full power of AC 10!
TomWaltz
Participant
That's interesting because the PPC version uses all the cores when rendering with Lightworks. It's why I love my Quad G5 so much! It all runs on one frame at a time, but each frame moves pretty quickly!
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
TomWaltz wrote:
That's interesting because the PPC version uses all the cores when rendering with Lightworks. It's why I love my Quad G5 so much! It all runs on one frame at a time, but each frame moves pretty quickly!
I don't know mabe the install didn't work correctly. but when I look at the activity monitor three of the cores are idle in reserve or something. only one core is mixed out at a time. The processing switches from core to core for whatever reason but it never uses all simutaniously while rendering only when updating and using the program to do regular tasks.
Anonymous
Not applicable
How does it behave when updating the layouts? I am interested if the bascis of ArchiCAD go (lots) faster? Like hidden line views and sketch engine.

For rendering I use C4D which rips with the Mac Pro.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Burginger wrote:
How does it behave when updating the layouts? I am interested if the bascis of ArchiCAD go (lots) faster? Like hidden line views and sketch engine.

For rendering I use C4D which rips with the Mac Pro.
actually lately it has been performing hit or miss. There are instances where it will generate views 3-D, sections, elevations almost instantly and then there are times where it lags just like the old version on the G4 where you get the rainbow beach ball for a minute or so. I think the download was faulty because the other problem is that it Hudinies on me fairly regularly now. That is what i call it when a program in Mac OS just disappears right in the middle of something. I know that that is a mac problem but it has been happening more regularly now that I have installed the new version of Archicad 10. I am contemplating downloading it again and reinstalling it.
Anonymous
Not applicable
chriszolezzi,

Thanks for your efforts to let other know about the performance of ArchiCAD with the worlds fastest desktop.

GS is totally lame for not posting pertinent information regarding this topic.
I hope GS reads this and say to themselves,"Boy I really hate that Burginger guy for the way he puts down GraphiSoft". Ya - right.. like they read our posts.
Greg Kmethy
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Burginger wrote:
"Boy I really hate that Burginger guy for the way he puts down GraphiSoft".

Actually, we do read your posts, and we have already contacted LightWorks about this. The fact is, not all LightWorks functions are multi-threaded. So some rendering settings can cause LW use one core only. I was hoping that we can give you a detailed answer as to what those functions are, but we are going a second round with LW on that subject.
Gergely Kmethy
VP, Customer Success, Graphisoft
Anonymous
Not applicable
It is nice to know Big Brother is watching

On this subject, a very good and useful item might be this:

a) Take a standard ArchiCAD project.

b) Use Quickkeys to create a script that puts the file through several changes, involving layout updates, etc. - A rendering test could be separate. Daily work processes are more important.

c) Capture the screen conducting the test on a "slow" machine. Then capture the same test running on a "Fast" machine.

d) Post the .mov file for everyone to watch. This way we can all see the difference in performance between the current machines and the "Newest Machine - which many of us cannot afford but we are interested in what it can do for us.

Cinema does something like that on their web site. Rendering is a fine test, but the majority of my time is spent modelling and updating, etc. That's where I would like to see the speed improvements most.

Where is all of this taking us?
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=232507

1 core for constant background layout up dates, 4 dedicated to rendering, 1 for web, etc. ?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Wow Burg got caught. I am glad to know that GS is keeping on top of there subcontractors on the rendering issues. Just keep us all informed on new updates and editions so that we can keep the downtime to a minimum. I will keep using the software to it's fullest and keep you all in touch with the glitches or issues that I find. We all need to work together to keep the worlds best Architectural software where it belongs. On Top!
Learn and get certified!