BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Piranesi or Sketch up?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I like the vector character from Piranesi.
It is specially helpfull, if I don't want to show to the client not so much (for garauntee or something like that).

What ist better between Piranesi and Sketch up?
Say about your experiance.

http://sketchup.com/support/
very nice picture

Thank you
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable
They dont serve the same purpose.
You simply cannot compare them. Piranesi is a "painting- metarendering" program and sketchup a 3d modelling one.
Anonymous
Not applicable

but it looks very similar.....
Vitruvius
Contributor
Oreopoulos is right - the two programs are completely different.

Piranesi takes a project created and rendered in another programme (ie ArchiCAD or ArchiCAD+Rendering Program) and allows you to manipulated the image to produce artistic effects (watercolour, sketch, etc.)

Sketchup is a front-end tool which allows you to build the project and has an built-in "sketch" rendering engine.

In reality the workflow would be:

1. Concept design in SketchUp or ArchiCAD
2. Detailed design in ArchiCAD with 3D output by ArchiCAD to Artlantis (or some other renderer) - then output a Piranesi friendly file.
3. Manipulation of that output by Piranesi.

Sketchup and Piranesi are both great programs but if you already have ArchiCAD, you'd probably find Piranesi more useful for creating presentations.

Cheers, Cameron
Cameron Hestler, Architect

AC 24 & 25 (3011) / MacMini i7-8700B @ 3.2 GHz / 32GB Ram / 512GB SSD

LG Ultrafine 4K monitor 22" & 27”

Mac OS 11.6 Big Sur
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for your answer.
Than I think, just the wepsite from Sketch up looks nice.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes i agree they are totaly diff. but sketchup is something very very easy and i created all stuff which was on my mind and i dont use archiforma, zoom gdl cos sketchup does it faster and better 100 times then all other 3d modeling software, then i export it to dxf then import in archicad and now when i can combine sketchup and archicad there is no shape that i cant create.
This attached model is created in a litle bit in ac 9, sketchup then render is made in lightscape -

This is 50 % finish drawing but when i printed on glosy paper and show it to man with money i just see that good rendering is best way to sell idea.

Dont judge rendering - not finish yet, missing sky, some builidngs and stuff like that

NEcko F.S.-
Djordje
Ace
samsung wrote:
:shock:but it looks very similar.....
What looks similar?

Did you actually download the demos and did you try them?

Or were you just looking at the images on the site? Sketchup has a plugin for exporting to Piranesi, and many people use Sketchup for modeling the scenes to be post-rendered in Piranesi.

Learn before you ask. Not everyhting can be spoonfed.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Now I know. Thanks.
I decide to buy Piranesi, if I buy, because of vector-character.
The question was, Artlantis, Piranesi or other rendering software
Sketch up is not very known.

Actually the LW in AC9 is quite good enough....
Anonymous
Not applicable
I still think you dont understand what those programs do.

SketchUp is a 3D modelling tool. It is VERY WELL KNOWN and with great prospects.

Piranesi is a metarendering program. Something like what photoshop is for pictures. You take a Rendering (you dont model or render it there) and just helps you to paint because it recognises faces, orientation, depth.

Artlantis is a 3d Rendering program. You import a 3d MOdel (cannot model there) and render it.

So i guess you have messed things up.

You can compare Sketchup-Archicad-3dStudio-Rhino...and the list is big

You can compare Arlantis-lightwave-3dstudio-Archicad-Maxwell and the list is bigger

You can compare Photoshop-Piranesi...
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've seen Tutorialvideos.
In my opinion,
Sketch up is good for city plan like sim city.
It is not necessary to buy Sketch up für AC-user, in my opinion.
Plan must be finished any way with AC, incl. rough material checking with LW-Rendering.
And than, 3D trees and 3D people can be nice made with Piranesi (3D people in AC look like Robocop)
To show rough concept 3D sketch with Piranesi is excellant.
Rendering must not be always photorealistic.
Piranesi shows nice graphic character.
To compare with Photoshop and piranesi is not proper.
Piranesi recognise exactly material (not color).
Let me say....piranesi is photoshop for Architects.
Learn and get certified!