BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Should I buy Artlantis

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm wondering if it is worth it to get artlantis. I have an old copy of artlantis 4 that runs on my old laptop. I have a one person residential practice - doing mostly remodels and additions. Most of my output is black and white with hidden line perspectives. Recently I did some perspectives with shading on and the glass transparent. It didn't take any time and I've been thinking I should improve my presentations. Is artlantis better than the lightworks built into AC10

AC10 mac 2 x 2.66 dual core intel
19 REPLIES 19
Dwight
Newcomer
Get the free fully functioning Demo and find out.

www.abvent.com

Wear a diaper.
Dwight Atkinson
Karl Ottenstein
With the demo, and until Dwight's book arrives, watch the (tedious) videos on the Artlantis web site to learn how to do things. The online help is only somewhat helpful.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Yes!

Here's what I like...

1. Nice skies (without rendering over a picture)
2. I can leave my ARCHICAD file FREE of crap like furniture, people and trees and let ArtLantis take care of that.
3. High polygon counts do not hinder ArtLantis like they do ArchiCAD
4. Cool stuff, like furniture, can be downloaded in .3ds format from the web and converted to ArtLantis objects.
5. Batch Rendering
6. Cars in motion
7. It's fast(er, than ArchiCAD anyway)
8. Radiosity
9. The ability to keep your ArtLantis file as you develop your ArchiCAD file and simply swap out your current building.
10. Great gravity functions for placing trees, cars, etc.

I am sure there's more... Get STUDIO (animations)...
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
Dwight
Newcomer
You forgot the best thing: a preview.
Dwight Atkinson
Dennis Lee
Booster
Two questions I've always had.

1) Seems like artlantis lights are all spot lights, unlike lightworks lights that has general lights, area lights, etc. Is this seemingly limitation a limitation at all?

2) For the budget conscious, does the studio version really come in useful for architects? Never had to do an animation for anybody yet, but is it worth it for a small architecture firm? What about the Quicktime VR or panorama?
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
"Spots" can have a light cone of 360degrees... so it's pretty much a general light. I have not experimented a lot with lights as I've done a lot of exterior rendering.

I could not imagine NOT HAVING animation... Not sure I can put a price on though.. I do use animation more than rendering. But for the quick email to the client, then renders are great.

My 2 cents...
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
Dwight
Newcomer
You never want to buy the cheap version because of the marvel of having the best features available when someone asks, and the delight of commanding something as impressive as a VR [I'm NOT so impressed with animations unless they are tiny, transitonal parts of otherwise masterful multi-media efforts].

Note: This thinking does not apply to ordering the bubinga wood dashboard accents on your next Buick.

A VR panorama is something the architect totally controls [by choosing a perfect viewpoint], yet the viewer thinks he is driving.

A VR object lets the client encapsulate his little project into a crystalline jewel and imparts deity-like feelings. "He got de whole world in his hands…"
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
Furthermore, as forwarded to me, this link.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/7774000.stm

Even though it purports to be an actual design communication, it should really be the topic of my "What Not to Do In Making an Animation" lecture.

Strap in and have airsick bag handy.
Dwight Atkinson
Dennis Lee
Booster
Thanks. I guess there are always ways to do anything, just have to be a little creative.
vfrontiers wrote:
"Spots" can have a light cone of 360degrees... so it's pretty much a general light. I have not experimented a lot with lights as I've done a lot of exterior rendering.

I could not imagine NOT HAVING animation... Not sure I can put a price on though.. I do use animation more than rendering. But for the quick email to the client, then renders are great.

My 2 cents...
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9
Learn and get certified!