BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Sketch Render - Grass

Anonymous
Not applicable
After following some earlier posts regarding renders in the sketch engine, I have been playing around with the different settings, overlaying onto Lightworks renders etc etc....

Anyways, the boss has requested some grass be shown, and im a little stumped as to the best way to get a nice grass effect. Had a go in photoshop, just painting the grass in with a grass looking brush, but im not convinced it's a great or even a good outcome.

Ive attached my attempt so far.

Does anyone have any ideas or tips that will help.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Kids Play High Sketch Modified.jpg
15 REPLIES 15
Dwight
Newcomer
That is plausible grass.
[even in my Artlantis Attitude book,
I call the best renderings merely "plausible"]

Can you make it smaller?

If you still don't like it, just use noise....
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight,

thanks for your speedy response and comments. What did you mean by 'noise'?

Another attempt:
Dwight
Newcomer
In Photoshoppe, you would select an area and apply the Filter "Noise" It makes a bunch of dots.
noise no noise.jpg
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Gave the Noise Filter a go, it did have a worthwhile subtle enhancement.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm suprised no one else has commented, but they are really nice images, and an interesting design also, Mike. Thanks for sharing them!

The plants are good too. Simple but effective. Are they photoshopped in or are they 2d dwg converted to library parts, like James Murray described recently - http://www.onland.info/archives/2008/12/slabifying_lines.php?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for your kind words Peter.

The trees were done in photoshop because I couldn't think of a way to model them in the sketch engine. But I will definitely be having a crack at the 3D sketch tree in your link, cheers for that too.
Hotel Entry Sketch Modified copy.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
wow they look great.. any chance of a link to a "how to" on doing some images like that ?
Arcadia
Booster
These images are great. I'd love to know what settings you used to get these as they are exactly what i would have wanted if I had time to play around with the sketch engine.
V12-V27, PC: Ryzen 9 3950X, 64g RAM, RTX5000, Win 11
haymont
Booster
These are great images. To be honest i prefer using the sketch render tool 90% of the time. Its easy to pump out a huge amount of renderings in a short time vs the one photo-realistic render churning away over night....time is money. Besides clients love to see them as they are emotive and have that sense of 'work in progress' for early sketch design vs 'here this is what WE think you should do' when you put up a photo render/

great work...would love a screen capture of your settings if you're willing to share.
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core 4.60 GHz | 32 GB RAM |M.2 500GB + M.2 1TB | 2x Dell 27” | WIN 10 Home 64
NVidia GeForce RTX 3060 12GB (Studio Driver)
Archicad 24 | 25 (Since v12)
Learn and get certified!