BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

W.I.P. - Interior Rendering - please critique technique

rob2218
Enthusiast
work I did for client here in DC.
we are remodeling a current home owners home and had created this interior rendering.
Completely done on Archicad with a minor 'photochop' technique I use.

But for the most part...done in Archicad.

Suggestions on how to improve "technique" are welcome please.

dining-rendering-small.jpg
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
11 REPLIES 11
rob2218
Enthusiast
P.S.
On this forum...in this section I've seen some nice "water color" and "erased out" edges technique as well.

Would like some 'pointers' if you will on best way to do it either in Archicad or post-production (ala photochop).

thanks.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Dwight
Newcomer
Because you are using both linework AND textures to define the scene, I assume that you aren't trying to create photorealism.

• If this is to look more like a sketch, reduce the lighting effect because it distracts.

Interior renderings need to be properly populated with entourage so laypeople find them comfortable. It is worth the time because accessories provide plausibility, even if only to the level of a department store display:

— your glass front cabinets need stuff inside
— your foreground table is dark and needs a table setting with light
— counters need stuff.
— lamp in sofa area.
— artwork.

— The composition has no focus to lead the eye into the scene. We need to leap over the table to enter the room. Find a better viewpoint.

— Too much ceiling and peripheral nonsense. [see cropped attachment for a suggestion]. Keep it tight like a magazine photo.

— Just what jarring mess is that through the french doors? Make the exterior happier.

— get some sunlight to course into the room for contrast.

• If this is to look more like a photo rendering:

— There's no such thing as white!!! Placing an uncolored general light in the center of the scene makes ugly glaring light. Make plausible, warm light. I added some yellow warmth to my example.

— the downlights create over-exposure. Turn them down.

— set up softer shadows.

— do you have camera light on? Turn it off.
dining-rendering-small_272.jpg
Dwight Atkinson
rob2218
Enthusiast
thanks Dwight!
Yes...meant to look more like a "sketchy" concept idea vs. a photo-real rendering.

thanks for you comments. They help.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Anonymous
Not applicable
rob2218 wrote:
thanks Dwight!
Yes...meant to look more like a "sketchy" concept idea vs. a photo-real rendering.

thanks for you comments. They help.
For a really sketchy look you can shoot the same view with both the sketch and photo renderers and overlay the former onto the latter in Photoshop. For this to work you have to knock out the white space from the sketch layer (magic wand in Photoshop) and (usually) tone down the colors in the photo rendering. I usually do the latter with and adjustment layer (transparency/brightness/contrast) in between the sketch and color layers.

For best results I render the sketch image at twice the resolution (four times the size) to get sharper lines while saving time by not overdoing the color part. When I have a bunch of them to do I set up publisher sets in ArchiCAD and an automated process in Photoshop so it's all pretty automatic.
Dwight
Newcomer
But that is a lot of extra work since the sketch render engine is so slow.
If you are taking your image into Photoshop at all, just use one of the edge enhancement filters available there.

For instance, here's accented edges at 50%.

You can instantly apply these effects.
dining-rendering-small_272 accented 50.jpg
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
Dark edges filter @50%
dining-rendering-small_dark edges .jpg
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
Sometimes a preliminary, entourage-challenged rendering simply needs a texture applied to soften harsh linework.

Here's conte crayon [with image complimenting colors] @50%
dining-rendering-small_conte.jpg
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
And finally, your rendering with the filter "find edges" desaturated.
dining-rendering-small_find edges.jpg
Dwight Atkinson
rob2218
Enthusiast
I like the "darker" toned edges one.
The "white and black" outline one looks like kaka.
Don't like that technique at all.

How did you do the darker toned one?
something about bringing it in photochop and doing what to the edge settings?

With regards to how I get the initial rendering...did just what one user said, did a "sketch" rendering, then did a "lightworks" rendering (both with same DPI and view settings). The opened the "material" (lightworks) rendering in photochop, opened the "sketch" rendering in in photochop, selected all in the sketch one, copy/pasted it into the "materials" one.
Adjusted the opacity setting of the sketch to be more "transparent".
then did the "HUE/Saturation" level bumped it up in photochop.
then used the "filter - sharpen" the sketch one to get me more of a crisper lines....and combined the two into on JPG.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Learn and get certified!