BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Ability to Lock Expression Based Properties

Josh Verran
Expert

With expression-based properties, it is possible to extract and combine parameters (including other properties) to form a string.

For example, I have properties related to timber framing like studs, nogs, treatment, grade, etc.
I have an expression-based property that determines if the wall is of timber construction then combines the above, plus other parameters (composite name etc) to form a note (sentence), if it's concrete, then a different note is formed. This is then used/displayed in a key (Interactive Schedule).

This works really well. However, one limitation is that users, in the key / interactive schedule, can overwrite the expression-generated string with manual text. This appears correct in one instance, however, all the underlying parameters still have the original data/parameters.

1.jpg2.jpg

While I have several Graphic Overrides that look for these properties with custom values, there's still a risk.

My wish is that somehow there is a way to to lock expression-based properties.

GRAPHISOFT CERTIFIED ARCHICAD BIM MANAGER

ARCHICAD 18-27 | BIMcloud Basic | CI Tools | Grasshopper - Rhino | CloudCompare | Bluebeam

LinkedIn | www.creativespace.co.nz | Tauranga, New Zealand

Windows 10 Pro | Intel Core i9-9900K @3.60GHZ | 32Gb RAM | 2xSamsung S27F350 1920x1080 60Hz | Nvidia Quadro P2200 (5Gb)
6 REPLIES 6

This use of property based expressions is brilliant for creating a wall key. Your wall key representation is almost exactly the same as our company uses although we currently have to generate it all manually in a worksheet. It would be great if you could share how you achieve this but I understand if you’d rather not. 

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.2.0
macOS Sonoma (14.4.1)

I posted a similar wish somewhere - although I didn't limit it to Expression based properties.

It would be really nice to be able to lock properties in general.

Quite often we set up our templates and favourites with information and links to translators which are broken when users edit the properties "the wrong way". To be able to lock properties would solve many of these issues, enhance the quality of our deliveries and make my hair less grey.

Erik Bjornhage : SwedishChef, ETTELVA Arkitekter, Gothenburg, Sweden
Architect : Digital Development : Graphisoft Cert. BIM-Manager
ETTELVA Arkitekter : Eriks LinkedIn
DELL Precision 5570; i7-12700H; 64 GB; RTX A2000 [8GB] : AC12 - future
scottjm
Advisor

The ability to identify when a property or ifc property has been override is essential too. Maybe through an IS or GO or Find & Select. As far as I’m aware you have to search for then individually. 

Scott J. Moore | Fulton Trotter Architects | BIM Manager, Associate, Architect
Since AC13 | Current versions AC23.7000 & AC26.5002 | BIMCloud Basic | Python, GDL, VBA, PHP, SQL, CSS
Certified Graphisoft BIM Manger (2022)
Win 10, i9-9900K, 32GB, Quadro P2200, 500GB NVMe
Josh Verran
Expert

Hi @Lee Hankins 

Yeah, no problem.
In a nutshell;
I have used expression-based properties, to combine (Concat) various properties (Option Sets, Strings etc) and text, to form a note.
I have used sequences, to create variations of the above, to be used with different structure types.

My actual setup is a little more involved than below, as I have another method using expressions to show/hide the renovation prefix (New/Existing) depending on the type of project.
https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Documentation/Property-to-determine-if-a-project-is-a-new-build-...

There are also a couple of other bits where a particular naming property can override the expression.

The below thou is an extract that generates the key as shown in the previous post.

The expression has two sequences (Line 1, Line 2).
The idea here is that if the first parameters aren't met, it goes to the next.

That's how the timber walls show framing details, while the others don't.

Line 1
(Concat(Stud Size, " ", Treatment, " ", "(", Type / Grade, ")", " ", (SplitRight(Name / Building Material / Complex Profile, "mm ", 2)), ", with ", "Studs @ ", Studs, " and ", "Nogs @ ", Nogs))

[The split right function is used as our Composites are written like this "90mm Timber Framing", the 90mm is the overall thickness which I don't want. I just need the text after the "mm". Our key shows the stud size 90x45, not the overall wall thickness. So split this property, at this text, show the 2nd bit of the split, not the first]

Line 2
(Concat(Name / Building Material / Complex Profile))

This property "Name / Building Material / Complex Profile", just uses sequences to return either the Complex Profile, Composite Structure, Building Material, or Classification Name (failing all else) of the wall.

I hope that makes sense, if it doesn't please don't hesitate to reach out and I can provide some extra info.

GRAPHISOFT CERTIFIED ARCHICAD BIM MANAGER

ARCHICAD 18-27 | BIMcloud Basic | CI Tools | Grasshopper - Rhino | CloudCompare | Bluebeam

LinkedIn | www.creativespace.co.nz | Tauranga, New Zealand

Windows 10 Pro | Intel Core i9-9900K @3.60GHZ | 32Gb RAM | 2xSamsung S27F350 1920x1080 60Hz | Nvidia Quadro P2200 (5Gb)

That's brilliant, thank you. I'll have a play and see how I can make it work. Thank you.

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.2.0
macOS Sonoma (14.4.1)
MichaelDohertyie
Participant

This is critical. We have the ability to make complex schedules to extract data from the model and then the integrity of that data can be lost in a careless and unknowing moment. Just is as bad is that we can't even see that the error has happened. As all tell us it's the information in BIM that is critical. I've been spending days on our new template to take advantage of AC27 and just hit this problem. Expressions are great as a way of coordinating data and ensuring data integrity until we hit this problem with the schedules. I'd expect many don't realise this flaw and how it could compromise their outputs. Really need this on the next maintenance fix Graphisoft.

In the interim anyone know a way doing a management check to find any overwritten properties?

Learn and get certified!