BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Ecodesigner Shading

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've finally had some time to experiment with ecodesigner and as noted in other forums it is disappointing it doesn't address shading.

I'd like to see real model based facade shading in the calculations. At the very least give me an option in the shading dialog to select if openings are shading during cooling season and unshaded during heating season.
4 REPLIES 4
Karl Ottenstein
Agree. But, do vote in your own poll. 😉

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Wokka
Contributor
Essential! I stopped looking at the whole product as soon as I realised this limitation.
Warwick Lloyd-Martin
3 D E N V I R O N M E N T
http://www.3de.com.au
Windows 11 Pro 64bit
ArchiCad 4.55>27 AUS
Lumion 12.5/2023
D5 Render
Andy Thomson
Advisor
This is in fact one of the first observations I made and communicated to Mats. The rationale for excluding it - apart from 'you can buy our core software suite' - was that the sun is all over the place - so why would you consider it in an hourly analysis. Mats - please use your own words if you read this - but I tried to explain, that it is all over the place in a predicatble way, and we specifically model our buildings to block the sun at the times of year when incident heat gain is worst - and we use the AC and/or Artlantis heliodon to verify these conditions/fin designs in QT movies. That a connection to the AC Heliodon was ignored 'for now' seems like a real wasted opportunity. Designers NEED to understand the effect architectural shading elements have on the building - whether they are part of the building or adjacent conditions! Unintended shading limits passive solar gain in winter, and can lead to uncomfortable spikes in the cooling season - things designers need to know. There is really no point in bragging that ED has an 'hourly step' analysis if the incredibly simplified report won't tell me that the living room climbs to 120degF on June 21 at 4pm - does it?!
Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro
Anonymous
Not applicable
Controlling the impact of solar gain is a obvious element of any sustainable design. On the best insulated properties you can use it to eliminate other heating requirements altogether.

The sun's position is entirely predictable, and with some historical weather averages it should be possible to offer some meaningful analysis.

I vote essential: it's a real disappointment that it is missing.
Learn and get certified!