BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Trim to Roof – Make it useable

snow
Ace

Hello friends,

since some years we've this further development of once 'crop to single roof plane' and SEO to crop all kind off elements to roofs… with this enhancement to react to intersection priorities.

But in most cases it is not possible to use this function, because every part of elements to trim which is not covered with the trimming roof, gets eliminated.

snow_0-1707237586708.png

(In the background the desired result, done with SEO)

So the whole 'Trim to Roof'-option remains useless. In most buildings we plan we don't have just a rectangular roof plane.

I would be a great thing to use trimming in many more situations.

Thank you for fixing it.

ARCHICAD for Future

archicad versions 8-27 | mac os 13 | win 10
3 REPLIES 3
Lingwisyer
Guru

Yeah, I would find it a lot more useable if it did not crop everything to it's boundaries.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

Tip: What you can do in such a case is place another, a flat Roof in the Model, which will trim the top of the "missing Zone portion". The idea is that the Roof should overlap the Zone in plan view so its Trimming Body is larger than the Zone. Then select the two Roofs, and use the "Merge Element" command on them. When two Roofs are "merged", their Trimming Bodies are merged as well and will give you the desired result. You can activate the View > On-Screen View Options > Trimming Bodies toggle to see how the Trimming Bodies of the Roofs change when you merge them.

MergeTrimmingBodies.png

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

Thank you, Laszlo, for showing this workaround.

When I wrote the wish, I thought it will work such way... but I'm really not satisfied with this basic behaviour...

It can get quickly very complex, especially if you have to manage walls, cropped to different roofs and parts of it without any cropping.

ARCHICAD for Future

archicad versions 8-27 | mac os 13 | win 10
Learn and get certified!