Teamwork & BIMcloud
About Teamwork, BIMcloud, BIMcloud Basic, BIMcloud Software as a Service, network settings, etc.

Static IP

Is having a static IP address any better than using the port-forwarding work around?

Is port-forwarding all that is necessary to set up your BIM Server so people can access it via the internet ? Or is there more?

http://corz.org/comms/hardware/router/static.ip.address.php

http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_configure_my_static_ip_address.html

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

6 REPLIES 6
Dennis Lee
Booster
I didn't know that Static IP was a REQUIREMENT for other people to join the BIM server from outside of your office.

I haven't tried it yet, but from what I understood, as long as you have some sort of service such as the DYNDNS, the outside world can find your main office router as if there was a static IP.

If your BIM server is not on the main server computer as is in my case, and you set up the computer with the BIM server to have a static LOCAL IP address, then all you need is for your main router to forward the port 9991 (I think) to the computer with the BIM server. I think this is that PAT thing that was on the wiki article.

So far, I've tried the BIM server with a VPN connection without a problem, and I will try the PAT method as soon as I have a chance.

All this discusion reminds me of the joke "How many architects does it take to change a light bulb?"...

ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9
Yes. I am sure it must be quite amusing for the computer savvy among us. After I get it set up I am sure it will seem quite simple to me too.

Everything is working very well for me when I sign into other servers via the internet and I have no problems collaborating between the computers here in my office. It is the hosting of a BIM Server so others can sign in to my server via the internet that I can't figure out.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Dennis wrote:
So far, I've tried the BIM server with a VPN connection without a problem...
Does that mean that people out side of your network can sign into your BIM Server via the internet?

If you need to test that I will try it for you. Send me a link.

Karl Ottenstein
Steve wrote:
Is having a static IP address any better than using the port-forwarding work around?
Apples and oranges - the IP address has nothing to do with port forwarding.

There are two IP addresses for the server - the local IP address and - if you want to provide internet access - your public IP address.

If you're providing public access, then your local IP address should be static. The public IP address can either be static or dynamic. If dynamic, then you must use a service such as dyndns.com to keep the dynamic address associated with a domain name. This is all described in the wiki articles.

Port forwarding is NOT a workaround. It is an essential part of making sure that requests from outside your network are sent to the proper computer inside your network. This is a standard thing for all kinds of software - pcAnywhere, internet games, etc.

The other IP addresses that may be of interest are the ones from clients who are accessing your server over the internet. Also described in the wiki: for highest security, if those clients all have static public IP addresses, then you can further protect your network by not allowing requests from any other IP addresses through. Like port forwarding, this is all done at the router level - and differs for every router manufacturer / firmware which is why Graphisoft cannot give step by step instructions.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
I was just successful with the ping test. I think this sould work.

Karl Ottenstein
Steve wrote:
Does that mean that people out side of your network can sign into your BIM Server via the internet?
A VPN (Virtual Private Network) allows full access to the office network as if the user was in the office on the LAN. So, yes someone outside authorized for the VPN could use the BS. But, more important, they can access the office file server. Most users are just learning about TW2 so far ... but once folks try hotlinked modules and external placed drawings, they will realize that a VPN could be a very useful thing, because the BIM Server does not 'serve' those things.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB