Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Importing an Excel file into Archicad? How?

rob2218
Enthusiast
what's the best to import an OEM file like Excel or a word doc into archicad???
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
4 REPLIES 4
TMA_80
Enthusiast
AFAIK, since archicad 10, as a PDF file only.
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
rob2218
Enthusiast
wow....Really? such a sophisticated program and you can only import PDF's or JPGS but no XCL files??? wow....bummer.
would've been nice to work "ON" the actual XCL file right inside the archicad PLN file. so I guess each time you'd have to open the XCL file, edit it, then print to PDF and simply overwrite (rename with the same name) the PDF that is already taking the place holder in the archicad file?
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
Karl Ottenstein
rob2218 wrote:
what's the best to import an OEM file like Excel or a word doc into archicad???
It depends on your needs.

The earlier option on Windows machines of dynamically linking to an Excel file (via OLE) is long gone.

Saving the file as PDF and inserting that as TMA_80 suggests is the most typical method.

If you want to edit the text in ArchiCAD ... and no longer want the Excel sheet as the data source ... you can paste the contents and a rich text entry will be created.

At least on the Mac side, copying and pasting directly from Excel does not produce a tab-delimited result, though. You have to save as 'tab delimited text' from Excel, open that in TextEdit, copy from there, and paste into ArchiCAD ... then select all text and set your tab stops to get things aligned into columns again ... and then fix your formatting. Whew. You can see why PDF is generally the way to go. 😉
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
rob2218 wrote:
wow....Really? such a sophisticated program and you can only import PDF's or JPGS but no XCL files??? wow....bummer.
would've been nice to work "ON" the actual XCL file right inside the archicad PLN file. so I guess each time you'd have to open the XCL file, edit it, then print to PDF and simply overwrite (rename with the same name) the PDF that is already taking the place holder in the archicad file?
XCL got me confused. Excel files are XLS 😉

But, yes, that would be the normal workflow. The updated PDF will show up in ArchiCAD ... the 'placed' PDF will be a link to the external file.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB