Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Clean up junctions in composite walls

Paul King
Advisor
Hi - I am really struggling with wall clean up behaviour with two dissimilar composite walls.
These need to clean up and show a stop end to one layer of one composite while, and clean up junction of another layer of composite without changing the overall wall shape - all these things needing to occur in the same place.

See screenshot of raw walls (top) and fills I have used to show the desired cleaned up result (bottom)

I want to avoid messy workarounds involving custom discrete polygon wall objects, 2D patches etc.

I tried using the wall end tool for stopend of brick outer leaf of composite, but find in general that wall end tool fails (messy extra/missing lines etc) when end of wall is also attempting to clean up with another intersecting wall in same place.

Can anyone show me an elegant way to achive what I need here?

frm00001.jpg
PAUL KING | https://www.prime.net.nz
ArchiCAD 8-27 | Twinmotion 2023
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
i hope that i understand right
this is what i get !

---i didnt understand right ---
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
The last time I had such a problem I took the problematic intersection, created a Custom Profile of it and assigned it to a Column. Then placed the Column into the intersection. The good thing is that since the fills are the same they blend nicely. Also the Column cuts itself out of the Walls automatically. Worked for me.
This is better than trying to use a polygonal Wall because you would have to use several polygonal walls since there are several skins involved.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Paul King
Advisor
NeckoFromSarajevo wrote:
i hope that i understand right
this is what i get !

---i didnt understand right ---
Thanks - close, but not quite - the end of grey inner leaf/wall intersects in a different position - strikes a corner, not just an edge. Also does not give return/stop end to outer brick leaf
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop
Paul King
Advisor
laszlonagy wrote:
The last time I had such a problem I took the problematic intersection, created a Custom Profile of it and assigned it to a Column. Then placed the Column into the intersection. The good thing is that since the fills are the same they blend nicely. Also the Column cuts itself out of the Walls automatically. Worked for me.
This is better than trying to use a polygonal Wall because you would have to use several polygonal walls since there are several skins involved.
Thanks, that worked!.

Still a pain that workarounds like this needed with composites. They need to be smarter and allow each leaf to extend & clean up in independent ways - like separate walls, except for sharing common openings for doors & windows & dragging around together as one grouped item (guess this must have been wished for many times over the years!)
Erika Epstein
Booster
You are missing the small section of wall that is perpendicular to the end of the multi-skinned composite.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"