Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Layout Book doesn't match Project map floor plans.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've had this issue for a while and its gotten to the point where its a bit frustrating when I go to export my drawings as PDF's.

After having my layout and title block all done in the layout book... some things dont show up that I want to and some things show up that I dont want to. So basically, my project map floor plans dont match my layout book floor plans.

I love this feature in ArchiCAD because your final print layout updates even when you change your floor plans.. its great. However, there are many times when for example my roof will show on my layout book sheets even if my roof layer is hidden. Thats just one example along with many others such as curtain walls showing in the project map view but won't update to my layout book view.

The BIGGEST issue is simply hidden layers still showing up in the layout book view even though the layers aren't turned on nor showing up in the Project map view.

To solve this in the past I've had to delete the layers I want turned off in order to export my drawings without them showing and then undoing everything I deleted and resaving before I exit the program. I'm sure you can imagine how annoying and risky that is when it comes to possibly lost work.

Anyone know how I can fix this?

Thanks in advance, greatly appreciate the feedback.

Anthony
19 REPLIES 19
Rick Thompson
Expert
You need to place you drawings in the Layout from the View MAp, not the Project Map. The View Map is for storing all the various settings... layers, scale.. display.. etc. That will stay fixed as per settings. The project map is completely different, and not for that purpose as above.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Anonymous
Not applicable
I guess I should have been more clear.

I do use my view map floor plans for the layout, but I get the view map floor plans from the project map of course.

When in the project map, I save my current view, and then it shows up in my view map. Then I take it from my view map and put it into my layout.

However, as I proceed to edit my floor plans (from the project map of course) it doesn't always edit my layout view correctly.

I understand what you mean, but isn't the fact that I use the view map sort of obvious? Can you even put a drawing in the layout directly from the project map? ....
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think I may see where you are coming from..

Do you mean you have to edit your drawing view in the view map?

Instead of assuming it'll update when you change the project map?
Rick Thompson
Expert
Under View Map, open the settings window, after all is as you want displayed, and click "get current settings". That will "capture" the settings and any change will be under those parameters.

If you just dragging the Project map view, to the View map and not setting it up, then it isn't telling the layout what to display.
Screen shot 2010-02-18 at 10.15.12 AM.png
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ohhh ok ok. So even though you change your floor plans within the project map, what is displayed in the layout view strictly depends on your settings from the view map, correct?

I think I see now. So for example if I have my beams showing in the project map, but in the view map I am telling them to be turned off, they wont show until I change my view map settings.

This makes sense since I somewhat ignored the use of the view map other than using it to organizing my views.

Thanks a lot, appreciate the help.
Rick Thompson
Expert
allegronea wrote:
I understand what you mean, but isn't the fact that I use the view map sort of obvious? Can you even put a drawing in the layout directly from the project map? ....
Actually never tried

You might reread the manual for this process. It is pretty important and does have subtleties. Once set up in View Map you home free, but it needs attention, which involves quite a few areas to have already set up (like Model views, layering..etc).
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Rick Thompson
Expert
Yes, I do pretty simple work compared to most on this forum, but even so I have several floor plan views (Work, Print, Electrical, Framing).. see screen shot>>>
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Rick Thompson
Expert
allegronea wrote:
This makes sense since I somewhat ignored the use of the view map other than using it to organizing my views.

Thanks a lot, appreciate the help.
The well established view map is a fundamental key to an easy life with AC.

Your welcome
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Anonymous
Not applicable
Oh okay, so if you want to print multiple floorplans of different layers you need to set them in the view map. I gotcha. This makes everything a whole lot easier

Now I dont have to delete layers so I can get them to print correctly lol.

Thanks!