BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Fragment2 command and fill resolution

Erich
Contributor
I was recently using the Fragment2 command to display a 2D symbol that consisted of a line and arc outline and an interior fill of that outline. When this object is placed in plan I noticed that he fill portion of the symbol was faceted in the same fashion you would see with a low value of resol. However, the arcs in the line work were not. (In the part the fill fragment looks perfectly fine)

Has anyone else seen this behavior? Is there be a setting I am missing? I checked my magic wand settings and they are sufficiently high that this should not be the issue. I also tried adding a resol command prior to the fragment2 command to no avail.

Is there a fix for this, short of just scripting the 2D symbol outright?

Thanks
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is odd. I don't recall ever seeing it myself. Does it print in the faceted form as well?
Erich
Contributor
Thanks Mathew, it's not just me being stupid then.

Following up, I took a look at some old parts that I used fragments to make and they don't have this issue - even when placed in the same file. So it seems to be an issue with the part itself. As for printing, I tested that tonight and the part prints wrong as well (matching the screen display).

Just for kicks I have attached an image of showing the behavior I am seeing. The fragment portion is in a subroutine called by the main part with the intention of displaying the handrail section in plan. In this instance there is 2D line work that forms the outside of the rail profile and a fill for the body. If you look you can see that the line work displays correctly (essentially smooth) but the fill is heavily segmented.

I guess I will create a new part and rewrite the script to see if that helps.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
27" iMac Retina 5K
Erich
Contributor
For what it is worth, further investigation shows that this problem only occurs when you use a MUL2 command before the FRAGMENT2. Here is the code I was using:
PEN gs_cont_pen 
FILL gs_fill_type

dx = 1.701"    ! width
dy = 1.578"    ! height

MUL2 A/dx, B/dy
FRAGMENT2 1, 1
If I comment out the MUL2 all is well. Strange
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
27" iMac Retina 5K
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erich wrote:
If I comment out the MUL2 all is well. Strange
That is odd. Well at least it's an easy fix. If you need mirrored versions of the same fill you can always just use different fragments.

Good to know. Thanks for chasing it down.
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
dx = 1.701"    ! width
dy = 1.578"    ! height
MUL2 A/dx, B/dy
FRAGMENT2 1, 1
Matthew wrote:
Well at least it's an easy fix. If you need mirrored versions of the same fill you can always just use different fragments.
It looks like from his code snippet that he is resizing the fragment, not mirroring it, so the fix may be in converting the fill from a drawn symbol to a coded fill in the 2D Script.

Erich: have you tried dragging & dropping the drawn fill into the 2D Script Window to see if ArchiCAD will convert the fill to code automatically?

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Erich
Contributor
David,

Yes that is exactly the fix I used. It just takes a few additional steps I had hoped to avoid, not that it is difficult.

It is odd that this just happens to fills in the fragment and not the line work. So far I have not found documentation of this behavior and it feels like a bug to me. The effect seems to be more pronounced the further from the original size and proportions the MUL2 makes things.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
27" iMac Retina 5K
ztaskai
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi,

I tried to reproduce the problem having a MUL2 command in the script before the fragment but all worked fine for me.

Naturally, it is not the desired function that a gap between the line and the fill appears... Could you please send me a simplified version of the problem-prone object?

Thanks,
Zsolt Táskai
ArchiCAD Development - GDL Team
AC13, AC14 and upwards...
Learn and get certified!