Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Revit 2011 & Autocad 2011

TMA_80
Enthusiast
Hi!

Ok, i know, I'm posting too much "other products" links....at least we keep updated ( Autodesk is even launching 2011 products !?)

So an update to the last year post 😉 :

Revit 2011
http://autodesk-revit.blogspot.com/2010/03/whats-new-in-revt-architecture-2011.html

this version seems to fix the ui interface problem, complete the "missing" options for the new freeform modeling tool (which i think is great) ...(no multithreading yet ?! )..and textured view option ...etc.

Autocad2011
http://www.cadalyst.com/cad/autocad/autocad-2011-a-look-what039s-new-13200
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
46 REPLIES 46
Anonymous
Not applicable
I don’t know in the United Sates, but here in Puerto Rico a wave of change to Archicad is on the way, I don’t know why, but happens right now. That’s no bull.
Anonymous
Not applicable
naranjo01 wrote:
I don’t know in the United Sates, but here in Puerto Rico a wave of change to Archicad is on the way, I don’t know why, but happens right now. That’s no bull.
What do you mean?
Stress Co_
Advisor
laszlonagy wrote:
Rod wrote:
David wrote:
Wes,

I (and I'm not alone) have always appreciated and respected your posts here (as well as other sites). I am always trying to objectively research other software alternatives and technologies that will better my chosen profession. Your objectivity between ArchiCAD and Revit has always been a good basis for discussions and debate. Keep up the good (and objective) fight.
Second that.
I "third" that.
4th.
Thanks for you insight Wes... been meaning to say that for a long time.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
metanoia wrote:
So the ever-rabid sales-driven world of Autode$k is calling this ArchicadFAIL...

See http://bimboom.blogspot.com/2010/03/archicadfail-forum-post-and-comparison.html

While this is not the official voice of Autodesk, I think there's more than just a warning shot that's been fired across your collective bow.
what a BS post!

it's like buying the software for the marketing department.
hellooo! we are architects, and we have other criteria to evaluate a software.

1. we don't use a software because it's 'worldwide adopted'. we like to use intuitive and innovative tools.
2. Revit content is waay too expensive. Like 500 USD for some ikea models. who needs them?
3. MEP calculations done by architects? what next? we will also have to excavate and lay bricks?
4. IES, Ecotect and GBS were 'developed' by autodesk or were 'acquired'?
5. do contractors use revit? don't think so, maybe autocad. anyway, why should we choose our tools based on contractor's tools? shouldn't this be the other way around?
6. was navisworks developed by autodesk? is it free? why do I need another product to detect clashes? why can't revit do that?
7. OMG! there will be 3 million revit users out there. good thing not all of them will be architects!
8. again, autodesk product line is made 95% of products that were bought, not developed.
arch. ernest atanasiu
AC 10-26 INT/GER/FR on Win 10/ Win 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
what a BS post!

it's like buying the software for the marketing department.
hellooo! we are architects, and we have other criteria to evaluate a software.

1. we don't use a software because it's 'worldwide adopted'. we like to use intuitive and innovative tools.
2. Revit content is waay too expensive. Like 500 USD for some ikea models. who needs them?
3. MEP calculations done by architects? what next? we will also have to excavate and lay bricks?
4. IES, Ecotect and GBS were 'developed' by autodesk or were 'acquired'?
5. do contractors use revit? don't think so, maybe autocad. anyway, why should we choose our tools based on contractor's tools? shouldn't this be the other way around?
6. was navisworks developed by autodesk? is it free? why do I need another product to detect clashes? why can't revit do that?
7. OMG! there will be 3 million revit users out there. good thing not all of them will be architects!
8. again, autodesk product line is made 95% of products that were bought, not developed.

Hello All,

My first post here so please be gentle.

To answer some of your points impartially from a general BIM perspective.

1. A lot of the time management will decide what platform to use based on more decisions than just the Arch's ease of use (sorry)

2. Revit content 'can' be expensive but there is always the argument that it is easier to create/adapt in the first place than GDL

3. MEP calcs are being done by multi-discipline firms now at the earliest stages of design. Many firms I work with are contemplating how BIM will change the structure of their firms and seeking to look outside the box from a business sense. i.e. Do we merge with other firms?

4. Does it matter if a technology was acquired or developed? Seems to be a moot point. (IES is not Autodesk, yet...)

5. I can tell you that yes contractors I work with are using Revit and many other BIM tools, they will use what is best for the project delivery and if that means doing a design-build with Arch/Strc/MEP using one platform then they will. This is my experience.

6. Revit can do clashes with other linked Revit models without buying Navisworks. This also makes a compelling argument to buy all one platform.

7. You can't argue with a strong network of like users, support is a major concern for many users. I am in the middle east and many firms are choosing platforms based on the support on the ground out here. Some vendors are not servicing the market, plain and simple.

8. See point 4. moot point when you consider the user base and support network these products bring with them on each acquisition.

I hope I haven't offended anyone with my first post. Please consider me on the same page as Wes 😉 I am an interoperability proponent first and foremost.

Cheers,
Dan
NandoMogollon
Advocate
dandharma wrote:
Please consider me on the same page as Wes 😉 I am an interoperability proponent first and foremost.

Cheers,
Dan
I agree.... Interoperability is the key....We need to wait and see if it's going to be IFC - IFCXML or something in between.....

Definitely not PLNs or RVTs... as good as AC or Revit can be.

Cheers

Nando
Nando Mogollon
Director @ BuilDigital
nando@buildigital.com.au
Using, Archicad Latest AU and INT. Revit Latest (have to keep comparing notes)
More and more... IFC.js, IFCOpenShell
All things Solibri and BIMCollab
don't take me wrong. i do not advocate for AC (i will for a reasonable fee ).
i just felt like an AC long-time user whose BIM manager has just told him he has to switch to revit, giving me those reasons. that is: fooled, tricked, duped.

knowing how an architectural software should perform (AC isn't yet perfect) I can say that those are not the reasons to choose such a software.

You should take a look at this survey: in december 2009 33% of european architects were solo-practice, 18% were in 2 person practice, 26% in 3 - 5 people practice. Total: 77% of architects which don't have a BIM manager, because they don't need one.

Yes, we need interoperability. But first we need a platform to work on.
arch. ernest atanasiu
AC 10-26 INT/GER/FR on Win 10/ Win 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
outpostarc wrote:
naranjo01 wrote:
What do you mean?
Migrating from Revit to Archicad..
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have use both revit and archicad. And I find that revit develop their render engine. In Revit 2008 they use accurender, but in revit 2009 they start to use mental ray. This make a gap between archicad and revit. Different from revit, archicad doesn't develop their render engine. I think if archicad use mental ray ot would be great. Because many people in my country proud of revit because its render.
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Andri wrote:
I have use both revit and archicad. And I find that revit develop their render engine. In Revit 2008 they use accurender, but in revit 2009 they start to use mental ray. This make a gap between archicad and revit. Different from revit, archicad doesn't develop their render engine. I think if archicad use mental ray ot would be great. Because many people in my country proud of revit because its render.
Apart from the obvoius fact that ArchiCAD soon will have a new rendering engine I look at the huge base of single person or small companies that can't affort having their bulk designing tool render for half the day. There is a reason ArtLantis is popular. IF....a rendering engine inside the cad-program would be extremely fast...then OK...
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.